Windows XP lookalike

Zedric

NTFS Guru
One of the problem for Linux and *nix on the desktop maket is that they are ugly and hard to understand for the common user. But now you can have your Linux look like Windows XP! :)

http://www.lycoris.com

Has anyone tried it?

I ran across this site yesterday myself and was wondering the same thing. Has anyone used this yet?

ive got it and the tools n stuff but not ran it to try yet :D

They might make it look like xp but linux will still be too hard for me to figure out.

There are programs that let you run Windows apps and games on linux. Does anyone know how well these work?

I myself run Slackware and SuSE Linux 8.0 Pro on spare PCs and Linux is great although I prefer Windows since it is more widespread and has a larger user base :D

lindows is a linux Distro that lets you run MS programs on it :)
its cool to use and i have found it to be more user friendly than other linux Distros

Lindows sucks from a Linux perspective, I personally use Gentoo and if I want to run a Windows program I use Wine. Linux has made great progress in 5 years, almost as much as Windows made in 15..

Originally posted by rodneyck
There are programs that let you run Windows apps and games on linux. Does anyone know how well these work?
It depends on how you configure wine. Its hard to configure.

why dont you just try linux?

its called learning.......

i would actually like to try this distro of linux... looks very intersting. i think id still like my redhat 7.2 though ;)

Wine isn't hard to configure at all. If you get CodeWeaver's version of wine they configure it for you. http://www.codeweavers.com/technology/wine/

People always spread rumors about how Linux is impossible, it isn't worth it, blah blah blah. I thought that at first too, but when I gave it a try it was pretty good. If you're going to start using linux try Mandrake, Red Hat or SuSe. Then when you get more advanced try Gentoo. The order of distros I tried was Mandrake (1 week), Red Hat (1 week) SuSe (2 weeks, really like SuSe 8.0), and now finally Gentoo. I've been using linux for a little over a month and I can say I'm a pro at it. It never crashes for me, it's 3000 times stabler than Windows XP. Some guy left his PC up for 3 years w/o rebooting on linux... talk about stable.

As we in the linux world say, something breaks in Linux it's your fault; something breaks in Windows chances are you didn't cause it. Anyway feel free to email me at gamma@cox.net if you're interested in getting started in Linux.

mandrake

I didnt like mandrake at all. personally. Had a ***** of a time with it. drivers and what not. virtually no games and wine sux uranus. so back to 98se for now. My problem is I HATE MICROSOFT..... But like every other sucker out there what choice do we have NONE. but the above looked interesting. Why cant someone just write an OS that is compatible with everyting like winblows? anyhoo thats my 2 cents for the day.

Try another distro, Red Hat or SuSe are pretty good with configuring drivers automatically. Of course the sure fire way is to do everything manually using Gentoo :). www.gentoo.org .. Gentoo rules and it's fully optimized for your system, and compiles everything from source. WineX plays every good game out there.. Wine is pretty much compatible with all 1st party MS products.

Oh yea, I thought Linux sucked when I tried Mandrake too.. then I gave Redhat a try, and saw it was a little better, gave SuSe a try and loved it, and gave Gentoo a try and that's my OS of choice.. way better than Windows XP and a heck of a lot stabler. Just keep trying, ask for help in a linux community and keep trying.

I am thinking about getting some sort of linux distro...

Hey guys, I have tried Lycoris and its actually perfect for linux newbies. (my preferred version of Linux is RedHat 7.3 - autodetects ALL my hardware except scanner and web cam) Anyways, Lycoris is great. It will even detect if you are on a network and actually sets up SAMBA for you. SAMBA is a programs which lets you share files and printer between windows and linux. Its a bugger to set up in most linux distros but lycoris does it for you.

One thing about Lycoris...its not for the developer. It is for your average home user who wants internet access and some office programs.

Does anyone out there know how to get a Logitech Quick Cam working with GnomeMeeting - RedHat 7.3 - Ximian Gnome Desktop?

I have a question about installing linux...can anyone help..I'd like to get someone who has installed some distro's of linux to help...

I have put lycoris onto a cd, then stuck it into my win98se cdrom drive, i chose "install from cd-rom" wich it prompted me to reboot my computer.

It restarted, yet booted up windows 98.

A little confused, i decided to make a boot disk, using the option in the lycoris auto-installer.

I made the boot disk, and restarted.

It loaded up win98se again.

It seems I can't get the linux installation to run.
Any help is appreciated

Have you set your BIOS to boot from CD-rom before trying to boot from the hdd?

Like Zedric said...thats the first thing to check. If that is ok then you might want to run md5sum on the CD itself. I cut this out of the Lycoris FAQ. Follow the instructions to see if the ISO image you downloaded is ok.

I was asked to check the md5sum of the iso I downloaded. How?

First, locate the md5sum file for the iso...it should be in the same directory on the ftp server where you found the iso file. Then, perform one of the following:

If using Desktop/LX:

Run Konsole

md5sum path_to_iso_file/name_of_iso_file

Once the program finishes (it may take a few minutes), you should see a long number. Compare the number with the one that is in the md5sums file on the ftp site. If they match, great! If they do not match, try to download (or better yet, rsync) the iso file again.

exit, then exit to close Konsole
If using Microsoft Windows:
Download an md5sum utility, such as the one from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/md5.exe. Place the utility in your windows (or winnt) directory.

Open a command prompt window. (On Windows 2000, go to Start, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt)

md5 path_to_iso_file/name_of_iso_file

Once the program finishes (it may take a few minutes), you should see a long number. Compare the number with the one that is in the md5sums file on the ftp site. If they match, great! If they do not match, try to download (or better yet, rsync) the iso file again.

exit to close the Command Prompt window

Good Luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back