Windows XP Logo (Use of) Copyright

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
Now thats pushing it :)

I sold Double Glazing Windows® last year, door to door.

I know, you talked me into buying three!

You lie, I only made one sale in the entire month before one of my bosses quit and the other one went off to worship satan. Nice place.

£35 for a months work, there is only one place I can think of where I have worked longer and earnt less :p

oh, that's right. you sold me girl scout cookies, three boxes.

Pushing???.....noooooo:)....

How can you use Microsoft trademarks or product names?

Referential Use:
You may generally use Microsoft trademarks or product names to refer specifically to Microsoft products. Microsoft does not object to your making referential use of our trademarks or product names (but not logos) in advertising, in books and other printed matter, on clothing or other promotional items, on-line and Internet locations, at public exhibitions or demonstrations, in your own software applications, in television programs / commercials / movies, and/or in video tapes; provided you follow our trademark guidelines; and provided the use is not disparaging. Your use must not mislead the public as to Microsoft sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement of your company, or your products or services.

There may also be appropriate situations where you may claim that your product, services or book are "for use with", "for" or "compatible with" our product(s). For example, there are specific guidelines prepared to assist you in making reference to this type of compatibility for Microsoft® Windows® CE, Microsoft® Windows NT®, and Microsoft® Windows® 98.

Back to Top of Page

TM vs. ®
Trademark rights are acquired by the proper, continuous use of the trademark. A trademark that has not been registered with the Trademark Office is noted with a TM . Registered trademarks are noted with a ®. Although specific permission is not required for referential use, Microsoft does request that you use our trademarks and registered trademarks correctly and refer to them properly. Proper reference includes marking them with the appropriate trademark symbol (® or TM) and using the correct product descriptor (at least 50% of the time).You should refer to the full product name and mark our trademark(s) completely at the first and most prominent reference, or as soon as practicable thereafter. To determine how the Microsoft product name should appear, please check the Microsoft product box or splash screen within the product.

In addition, Microsoft would appreciate it if you would provide the following notice within your product and/or product documentation which attributes ownership of the mark(s) to Microsoft Corporation:

___________________ and ________________ are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.

Titles

Microsoft does not review or specifically grant permission to use its trademarks in book titles, series titles, website titles, or other titles. Publishers should consult their own legal counsel regarding proper referential use of others' trademarks in their titles. Titles that refer to Microsoft trademarks are generally appropriate so long as: (1) the Microsoft trademark does not appear as the first word or otherwise as the most prominent part of the title; (2) the Microsoft trademark is not used in any other manner that might suggest Microsoft's affiliation, sponsorship, or certfication (e.g., using Microsoft trademarks as part of logos, designs, or other graphics); (3) the book cover does not include any Microsoft logos, logotypes, icons, trade dress, or other designs; (4) the book includes a prominent disclaimer of association with Microsoft; and (5) Microsoft's trademarks are properly marked with the appropriate a TM or ® symbol and attributed to Microsoft.

Back to Top of Page

© 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use.
Last Updated: Jan 04, 2002

also from their website....

Like I have said about 4 times in this thread. If MS had a problem with it they would have contacted us by now, trust me!

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
Like I have said about 4 times in this thread. If MS had a problem with it they would have contacted us by now, trust me!

I agree.

I agree too.
The point is that any ordinary person can not know all the do and don't when it comes to what, when and how to put out on the internet. And I do not think that MS expect that either. And the laws are different in every country so it is hard to keep track. And neither is expected of you. And like you said..if MS would object to anything that would turn up here then most likely will you notice it.
But, as you are not making any money out of this, but I guess that MS might actually do..and other companies too, I can not see the point in discussing the Windows XP logo in the first place..permission or no permission..
And free advertising is what most companies want...
(As an example..here it is not allowed to put a photo of a person or a group of persons on the internet without their permissions..including party photos, and so on).

There are so many websites that use logos and names so if all companies would "hunt down" on all that did so without permission..they would not have time to do anything else.
I think that MS, for example, has more important things to worry about.....piracy of software I think is much higher up on their agenda.

No, keep up the good work here at xp-erience.org because it is a great site..and I think that MS think that too...

man, I am glad my dsl was down for most of this nonsense, I can only think of one other thread in the whole forum that maybe has less purpose, the word thread, and the let's make a big topic thread,

jeez some people aren't happy less they are argueing about really silly stuff, if MS had a problem the logo would have been gone long ago. Like it has been stated several times

now my head hurts as well thank you

cool.gif

I'm going to step in here.

Dave, you are mistaken, it is not illegal to use copywritten material... it is illegal to use copywriten material if the author makes it known he objects to the use.

an author must first make aware to the user that he believes it is a copywrite infringement, and then the user must refuse to abide...then there is copywrite infringement.

when an author can be demonstrated to have knowledge of use, and gives no admonition, this is license for use...( also known as provenance)

You know it's funny how the detracters are on their high horse about the copywrite of a logo or product name.

Seeing that MicroSquish, (I won't say or type the actual name for posibility of infringment on copywrite laws. :p ) Has deemed it a good thing that this forum exists that they have linked to use from their "ExpertZone Community" under the heading, "Windows XP® Related Communities"

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/relatedsites.asp

Hmmmm... So if MicroSquish feels that we are providing a service to the XP® Community, then what is the point. With them linking to our Forum that shows that we have permission, now doesn't it??? They like us. :D

Seeing as MicroSquish will check out a Site before linking to it. You know there high standards and all. So if there were a problem they would have seen it when they checked this Forum out before linking to us and would have taken appropriate measures to the contrary. But they did not. So there is not foul on our part. Now do you feel that you are more knowledgable in the matters of their (MicroSquish) Logo and Product Name??? I don't think so. And if MicroSquish doesn't think there is a problem then THERE IS NO PROBLEM.

as I said in my post...and this is a legal fact...we infact have license to use the ms logo, by virtue of provinence...this is the law of this land

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back