windows xp is using all my disk space

A

Arrian

I have the folowing problem

on my windows partition (7Gb) xp is using 3Gb so i must have left 4 Gb.
But after a some time when I used a lot of programs it used allso the rest of my disk.
I have my pagefile on a differend partition and it's about 800 Mb so I think thats not the problem.
After a restard I have all the space back.
so I do not know what is using all my space.

I hope someone can help me.

what progs you got running on your system list all of em then i could help a bit better

I stopt all the programs that run at startup
When I run for example Ad-aware and it is scanning then I see after a few minute's that the space on my disk is about 1Gb less

Thank's for pointing me to the program.

I have seen that log file (trace.log) is eating my disk space.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\WMI in this directory is the log file.
but now is the question how can I let it stop logging

Have you thought maybe it is system restore & hibernation taking up the space? I don't think a log is very big. Can't be sure though because I don't have that folder.

log files would find it pretty hard to fill up with 4gb and notepad doesnt even open them up at a fraction of that. i think its an app stuck in a continuous loop cuz its ****e. and id say find out what program is doing it and kill it.

trace.log is created by BootVis - it's generally very large - delete it.

System Restore is reserving however much space you told it to. Delete your old restore points (Disk Cleanup)

The Temporary Internet File may be set too large - move it to another partition or decrease the size.

Master File Table (NTFS) reserves 12% of you drive - you can't touch it.

It was indeed a log from bootvis
Bootvis was still tracing after I ran it again the file was gone and so my problem

Thank's for pointing me in the right direction

Killer app

Originally posted by allan
You're welcome

Did we all run this after we received the information from PCWorld? Well if you turn tracing on.... there is an option in Bootvis to turn tracing off. DO THAT.
It took me about 3 days to figure out what was going on, ran out of disk space 6 times on a 120gb drive, thought this was a virus, turned my system inside out, was ready to ghost it back and all of a sudden I remembered that killer app..... Speeding up the bootup right..... well speeding up filling your disk with stuff and hald assed information from a magazine that could cause people to look for ages to understand why their system is all of a sudden sluggish.....

Killer app!!

:huh: :D

???????

Am I missing something??

As I recall I have never had to "turn tracing off".

Explanation/link please!

Originally posted by damnyank
???????

Am I missing something??

As I recall I have never had to "turn tracing off".

Explanation/link please!

Originally posted by aelaan
Did we all run this after we received the information from PCWorld? Well if you turn tracing on.... there is an option in Bootvis to turn tracing off. DO THAT.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back