Windows XP Home & Prof Editon

N

neo

I have both Home Edition in 40GB(FAT32) and Prof Edition in 60Gb(NTSF). I want to press a button like F12 or something and it gives me option to choose which to boot into Prof Edition or Home Edition.:huh: If I don't press anything It goes to Home Edition by default. How do i set up hard drive and jumpers on them I don't have raid. Does any body know how to do it. Thanks in advance.:)

Ok, here's what I need from you:

1) Are the two OSs installed on two separate hard drives or two separate partitions on the same hard drive?

2) What is the installation folder of Windows for each of them (eg: C:\WINDOWS)

I have installed both version on diffrent drive windows xp home edition on 40gb(fat32; C:\windows\) windows xp professional editon on 60gb(Ntsf; C:\windows\). Both version doesn't know the coexist.

maybe check a bootmanager can help. something like bootmagic from powerquest...

No need for an external boot manager.

Here's what you need to do.

1) Boot into XP Home and make a backup copy of your boot.ini file (located in C:\) It is a hidden file, so make sure you can see hidden files. Name the backup something like boot_old.ini

2) Replace your original boot.ini file with the one I created for you (attached to this post).

Reboot ... you should get a menu, if all goes well :)
Question? Feel free to ask.

Cheers!
NetRyder :cool:

Looking at the boot.zip file, it will not work.

you can modify it however and here is what it needs to be......

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition"

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by WinXPMan
Looking at the boot.zip file, it will not work.

you can modify it however and here is what it needs to be......

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition"

Hope that helps.

Oh, you're right there! Since they are 2 separate IDE drives, the rdisk parameter has to be changed.
Thanks for spotting that and making the correction! ;)

Cheers!
NetRyder :cool:

I am trying to do the same kind of thing but with win 98 se c: and win xp pro f: and dual boot. F: is master and C: is slave.

It worked :happy: Thanks to all for all the help. I have another question. If I try to update home edition will the update site recognize xp prof editon.:confused:

Originally posted by neo
It worked :happy: Thanks to all for all the help. I have another question. If I try to update home edition will the update site recognize xp prof editon.:confused:

You're welcome! :)

Ooh ... never thought of that. But I think it should only detect the OS that you're currently running. Only way to find out is to give it a try. Come back and let us know what it detected, just for future reference ;)

God damn, why have home on one and prof one the other?

Prof just ain't enough for you eh?

Originally posted by ranger_cole
I am trying to do the same kind of thing but with win 98 se c: and win xp pro f: and dual boot. F: is master and C: is slave.
waddy posted this in the news section. See if you can follow that as a guide to adding 98 to the xp boot.ini.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back