Windows XP freezing

X

xinside

My tech problem is : I turn off my computer at night when I go to bed.. When I turn it on in the morning windows freezes.. I restart.. it freezes again.. I restart again.. it freezes again.. well it does this for about 4 to 6 times.. after a few times doing this it stops and windows is fine.. what is making it do this? at first I thought it was my network.. but I turned on my comp without the wire in the network card and it still froze.. I tried everything I can think of.. even got rid of zone alarm and coolmon.. still did it.. anyone know what I can do? this is starting to get annoying!! :confused:

Do you get anything in the log?

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Log

Greetz

Lukas

HDD

Might be something to do with your harddisk. Some harddisks boot very fast, then get in a conflict with the windows boot procedure. If u're using bootvis.exe (boot acceleration tool) get rid of that and try again. if you're not, try delaying boot via the BIOS setup. MIght work, then again, maybe it's something else entirely....

I dont have any programs that make it boot faster.... and in the event logs... theres like 1,000 error messages in applications.. I have no idea wtf im looking for though... they are all the "true vector engine and EAPOL" whatever they are heh...

Clear all the log files when u go to sleep. The next morning check the log files at the first succesfull boot.

Greetz

Lukas

k, did it.. only things that came up were "true vector engine" ...
Wich is, if I remember correctly, zone alarm.. but I uninstalled zone alarm and it still did it.. hmm weird.. tell you the truth.. I dont think it ever did it before I got it.. not sure though.. but this is the error "The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( True Vector Engine ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: ." have any suggestions on what I should do? ... well I just checked the "system" and I got errors in "acpi" ... heres what that says "AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."

I have the same problem, but my computer freezes at any time randomly. I get the exact same error message in my event log:

"AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."

I'm getting sick of this, with out warning it just freezes, lose any unsaved work and I have to reboot.

I 've looked into it and I found in the microsoft website all about the error. Here's the link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283649 and go to the bottom and click on the link under Status and It shows how and why it does it, and shows what to do about it, but I can't figure it out. Its too complicated.

I would love to get this fixed if anybody here knows how to fix it, please tell us how.

Thank you

All it says to do is update your BIOS... I have a KT7 Abit motherboard... and I have no clue what-so-ever how to update the BIOS... but alot of people say even with updates it still does it... so who the hell knows with ms...

open your pc up take all your card(s), audio, lan, video, sound, etc.......and then but them back, one of your cards could be lose(or just make sure there all in place). if not then go into your program files and make sure that ZA is completly gone, plus go into regedit, and see if there are any traces of the program in there.

or you could go to device manager and see if there are any conflicts with any of your drivers, if so then uninstall (make sure you have drivers to replace them) and see what happens.:D

ZA is back on cause its a problem with my motherboard conflicting with windows XP.. atleast thats was like.. 4857457 computer techs are telling me.. they all say to update my bios but erm.. I dont know how to so..

You can the Abit KT7 BIOS updates <--- there

This site can give you some directions on flashing your BIOS. I recommend you read up since you can cause a bunch of trouble by doing it wrong. Don't sweat it though cause generally it's pretty easy.

I dont understand the jumper.. I dont see a jumper on my board.. heh pretty annoying.. but I have a few people who can help me with it.. just wish there was an easier way..

Well, I read how.. and I updated the BIOS.. ALOT easier than I thought, heh.. so far theres no problems at all but we will see tomorrow morning

:p :p :p

Well glad to hear that u haven't had any problems yet.

ok.. heres a new weird problem.. when I go in BIOS.. when Im done and leave.. my monitor will shut off.. and will not display anything else intill I unplug it and plug it back in.. I never had this problem before I updated.. Is the BIOS update causing this??

Well I wouldn't think so but since I've never had that problem I can't say. Also as I said I've never had that problem so I'm not even going to try to give u an answer but I'm sure somebody else will be of more help on this then me.

Weird.. doing some test here heh.. well it does that when I restart the comp.. not restarting through windows.. but when I restart by pressing the restart button.. nothing works till I turn off my surge protecter and then back on.. then starts working again.. weird huh?? also what I think is weird.. when this is happening I try to turn off my monitor and it wont turn off.. the light saying its on stays on.. I was wondering if it was cause I have AGP4x on?? I am fresh out of ideas..

I've seen both your probs before...

Hey, I've seen the first problem on two seperate mobos and the bios flash fixes it every time... as for the new problem, think back to the first time you booted windows after the flash, i'll wager that xp detected a few new things (woud've looked like a new icon in the system tray then gone away), anyhow, there were probably a few changes made to devices with the update, now it's time to update your video card drivers and to get the latest via 4-in-1 drivers (I think they are 4.43v)... this should solve your video hang on shutdown... Hope it helps...

Junky

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back