windows xp file system

J

Johncki

hello all. I just installed the xp home edition. I Like it. but it will take time to get use to it. I also would like to say that this is a great site. will be very helpful. My Q is. I have the fat32 and i have read that the nts??? is better for xp. Is there a way that i can change to this other file system.:confused:

you can convert a Fat32 partition to NTFS by using the convert command

To convert the volume on drive C to NTFS , type:

convert C: /fs:ntfs

where C is the partition to convert, if yours is different change the letter.

also once you convert to NTFS there is no switching back, unless you use 3rd party software.

There is really no performance gain between the two, my recommendation is to leave it as Fat32, unless you know what your doing. If something happens during the conversion, you could lose all information and files, so there is a risk involved.
:cool:

Thanks for the advise Iceman38. I am one step up from a novice. So I will take your advice. This is a great site to learn the in's and out's. Thanks again.

NTFS is faster if the disk is bigger than about 32 GB. NTFS is better, more stable and safer for errors regardless of disk size. I definately recommend NTFS unless you need to run Win9x or Linux/BSD on the same disk.

Originally posted by Iceman38

also once you convert to NTFS there is no switching back, unless you use 3rd party software.

:rolleyes: never heard of FDISK ????

I say stick with FAT32 unless you really want NTFS. Even tho i think NTFS is better, it allows for the compression of the drive, to make more room for other stuff, added security and if you have a large hard rive it adds a little speed and alot of stability, But there are other 3rd party programs that can do everything NTFS can do but for a FAT32, so if you dont wanna risk losing information or reinstalling everything, Stick with FAT32 and search for 3rd party software to do everything NTFS can do!:)

you can remove ntfs partition with fdisk on a win98 or me startup disk
ntfs is the slowest of all.......but the most stable
windows xp rules but only with pc's that can handle it

if your reading this aves
e.g.....pentiums

ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE

NTFS isn't slow. It might be a bit slower than FAT32 on small drives.

Originally posted by Zedric
NTFS isn't slow. It might be a bit slower than FAT32 on small drives.
Duh!!
like a 32gig partition

both fat 16 and fat 32 are quicker at accessing the data stored on them
NTFS IS THE SLOWEST OF THE 3
i did'nt say it was slow just slower that its Predecessors
although saying that NTFS was probably around before fat32 on winnt
but it is slower that both

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back