windows XP file incription

surge

OSNN Senior Addict
I have some files on a seprate hard drive that have been incripted by windows xp. i right clicked on the files and selected incript,

i had to reinstall windows xp becasue it was crashign all the time
now i cant get access to the files on the other drive. which is just a storage drive,

is there anyway to recover thoes files of mine that are incripted?

Originally posted by surge
is there anyway to recover thoes files of mine that are incripted?

You mean Encrypted?

You should be able to log in as administrator and take ownership of the files. I think.

Every user name in windows xp is given a unique user number which is used when a file is encrypted. When the user is deleted, even if the user name is the same the user number will be different.

i am an administratior on the pc, but do i need to long in as the administrator to take ownership?

It depends how your system is configured, by default a member of the administrators group should be able to take ownership of files.

i have taken ownership of some of the files , but i cant unencript them, i just get an error message.

what is the error message?

an error occurred while applying attributes to file:

access is denied

Your not going to get access to them. The certificate used to encrypt them was lost when you reinstalled windows. If you had decrypted them or backed the encryption certificate up you would have been fine.

Originally posted by Enyo
Your not going to get access to them. The certificate used to encrypt them was lost when you reinstalled windows. If you had decrypted them or backed the encryption certificate up you would have been fine.
:cool: yup.

if i remember correctly. once you encrypt a file or folder you will only be able to decrypt it with the user account with which it was encrypted or a recovery agent. not even the administrator will be able to decrypt it.

the only way for you to decrypt your files would be to copy them to a FAT volume.

thanks Enyo i kinda guessed that could have been why :(
thanks anyway :)

could you tell me how to back up an encryption certificate
and restore it if i need to please.

never mind now:) files have been deleated, they were just wallpaers and msn6 icons.

thanks for the help guys.

Originally posted by surge
never mind now:) files have been deleated, they were just wallpaers and msn6 icons.

thanks for the help guys.
and here i was thinking it was something important.

well there was some other important stuff thats been recovered
o the joys of poilce data forensic software :D.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back