Windows XP expires on June 30

binoyxj

PrOuD InDiAn
When it was launched in October 2001, the new version of Microsoft’s operating system for personal computers, Windows XP was so named for the new eXPerience it provided.

Tomorrow, XP will spell eXPiry. Microsoft will stop selling the XP version to retailers and PC manufacturers from June 30. They have been asked to stop preloading XP on their products from that date. There is a small exception made for low cost platforms, which will be able to continue loading the stripped down ‘home’ version of XP for another 6 months.

http://tec-talkz.blogspot.com/2008/06/software-that-refuses-to-die.html

When it was launched in October 2001, the new version of Microsoft’s operating system for personal computers, Windows XP was so named for the new eXPerience it provided.

Tomorrow, XP will spell eXPiry. Microsoft will stop selling the XP version to retailers and PC manufacturers from June 30. They have been asked to stop preloading XP on their products from that date. There is a small exception made for low cost platforms, which will be able to continue loading the stripped down ‘home’ version of XP for another 6 months.

http://tec-talkz.blogspot.com/2008/06/software-that-refuses-to-die.html
be a sad day, xp was one excellant operating system

when do they end security support?

Actually at Dell for a extra 50 bucks and given product line offers a downgrade from Vista to XP. Though the downgrade is limited to the versions of Vista that offer the right to do so.

All kind's of updates including security are good till 2014 for all versions of XP.

I wonder if you will still be able to use Genuine Advantage to report you have a bogus copy on your computer and need a legitimate licence key.

If so, just change the key on your machine to a bogus one off the web and dial in to get a new liscence.

Plan B. Have they changed the Ultimate liscence? It allows you to downgrade to XP at any time.

Are the third world versions still available? Or have they gone over to a crippled, minimized version of VISTA there?

I think XP is a long way from being dead.

For one thing most corporations are NOT accepting VISTA machines yet. My company has 150k XP desktops and none of the replaced machines in the last 18 months have had VISTA. For that matter we are currently developing multi million dollar software projects based on XP.

Company I work for just went from NT to XP Pro this year so I am sure there are no plans for Vista deployment.

For what it's worth, I think Vista is a good thing overall. But I agree that XP will be around for a long time. It's only natural given how long a mainstream run it's had, since they never had so many years between desktop Windows versions before. I don't count that XP x64 came out in 2005, or various other flavors of XP such as MCE 2005 or Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs.

On a side note, for anyone on here who hasn't played with ...Fundamentals... (FLP), it's a light version of XP but deployed the same way that Vista is. That is, a WIM image file.

Where does this leave people who bought the Eee-PC and other small devices which cannot run Vista on those specs.

tuch - i would say it leaves them running linux

beyond that - all this means is they won't be selling XP anymore.. you can still run XP..

Also XP for Eee PC and other systems like it are still good with XP, just the rest of the PC market can't get sell systems with XP. The Eee PC can and will be sold with XP for a while still.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back