Windows XP error- "Windows Low on Registry Space"

LoctOut

OSNN Addict
never seen this one before...... can't find a match on microsoft's knowledgebase either. This is on a fresh install of WinXP on a new system, 512MB ram AMD athlon XP1800, WD HD with 15 gig still available.

Attachments

• Registry error.JPG
    Registry error.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 2,076
I've not heard of this message.../me suspects a virus

when does that baby pop up?

maybe one of these ms papers addresses your issue

the default registry size limit, (rsl) is 25 percent of the size of paged pool...you can configure the rsl;

1. Run regedit
2. Locate the key KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control.

3. Modify the value RegistrySizeLimit (create it first it if it does not already exist) to reflect the desired size, in terms of bytes.

NOTE: RegistrySizeLimit must have a type of REG_DWORD, and a data length of 4 bytes, or it is ignored. If you set the value RegistrySizeLimit to less than 4 megabytes (MB), it is forced up to 4 MB. If you set it to greater than about 80 percent of the size of paged pool, it is set down to 80 percent of the size of paged pool (it is assumed that paged pool is always more than 5 MB). If you set it to 0xffffffff the maximum size allowable (or 80 percent of paged pool, up to 102 MB) is set.
4. Shut down and restart Windows NT for changes in RSL to take effect.

Kinda random, but always shows up at boot, just after the welcome screen and as the desktop appears. I'm sure the system is clean (no virus)

I found this at MS which seems to maybe idscuss this issue
RSL link But when I try changing the RSL then my system wont boot due to "bad configuration"

By default, RSL is 25 percent of the size of paged pool. Setting up the size of paged pool (see PagedPoolSize value of the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management) also affects the size of RSL.

You can also manually set the RSL:

1. Run the Registry Editor (REGEDT32.EXE).
2. Locate the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control.
3. Modify the value RegistrySizeLimit (create it first it if it does not already exist) to reflect the desired size, in terms of bytes.

NOTE: RegistrySizeLimit must have a type of REG_DWORD, and a data length of 4 bytes, or it is ignored. If you set the value RegistrySizeLimit to less than 4 megabytes (MB), it is forced up to 4 MB. If you set it to greater than about 80 percent of the size of paged pool, it is set down to 80 percent of the size of paged pool (it is assumed that paged pool is always more than 5 MB). If you set it to 0xffffffff the maximum size allowable (or 80 percent of paged pool, up to 102 MB) is set.
4. Shut down and restart Windows NT for changes in RSL to take effect.
Note A system restart is required after the RSL has been increased either through the graphical user interface (GUI) or the registry, because this change does not happen dynamically. If you do not restart the system, you may experience the following event:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: date
Time: time
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: name
Description: RegLoadKey failed. Return value Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service for C:\Documents and Settings\ntuser.dat.
In Windows NT 4.0, and Windows NT 4.0, Terminal Server Edition, the maximum paged pool size is 192 MB, so RSL can be a maximum of 153.6 MB. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

I've never heard the issue before, I'm digging like you are...keep us posted

ps...what was your rsl set to before you changeed it, and what did you change it to?

I just looked in my registry, and the key doesn't exist...was it in your registry before you modified it?

Ok I've got it fixed, sort of.......

I created the new DWord "RegisrtySizeLimit and gave it a value of 0xffffffff which cured the problem. But, as I understand it, this would either allow the registry to grow to, or allocate (reserve) as much as 102 Mb for registry size.....

In Windows XP, the Registry Size Limit (RSL) functionality has been removed. Therefore, there are no longer any limits on the total amount of space that may be consumed by registry data (hives) in paged pool memory, and in disk space.
MSKB article 292726

Do you have an nForce-based motherboard, by any chance?

in response to your question Perris

No the value did not exist originally in my registry. My first appraoach was an attempt to change the "PagedPoolSize" value since RSL is based on that. That was what created my "bad cinfiguration" problem. I'd still like to come up with a better value to plug into "RegistrySizeLimit" than 0xffffffff (max)

NetRyder....... yes it is an Nforce 2 ASUS A7n8X Deluxe V1.6 (?)

TittleBitties.. interesting link..... wonder why it popped up if it isn't used in XP? This is windowsXP Pro w SP2. perhaps something got shoved back in with SP2 that shouldn't have?

and FishBoy.... thanks for the links

In Windows XP, the Registry Size Limit (RSL) functionality has been removed. Therefore, there are no longer any limits on the total amount of space that may be consumed by registry data (hives) in paged pool memory, and in disk space.

interesting that his issue was resolved by creating the word...according to that quote, nobody looks at the the value.

maybe it's a poorly written verse, means that the default is the maximum

NetRyder.... I'd like to know more about why you asked if this was an nforce board... I have a couple of them but never had this pop up before with them

hey loct, could you do me a favor?

download regmon

follow the use instructions and see if anyone is looking at the value you created...I'd love to hear about this

now I'm really confused..... I couldn't find anything calling up that key

LoctOut said:
NetRyder.... I'd like to know more about why you asked if this was an nforce board... I have a couple of them but never had this pop up before with them
Do you know what version of the nForce drivers you have installed on this machine?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back