Windows XP and identical systems

patrick

OSNN Addict
If I build two systems of exactly the same specs and install a legal version of Windows XP on each system then technically I should be able to switch hard-drives without any concern.
I'm asking this in context of a computer lab with 25 or so computers, so that building/rebuilding a hard-drive after being built, or after virus or serious error could be as simple as cloning (copy and restore) from a working a hard-drive with everything installed.

Thanks,
Patrick

if you bought two license copies of XP, your allowed to have two running computers with XP, if one goes down, yes you can replace it with another hard drive, that has a copy of XP, as long as you don't go above the number of legal copies, you should be fine. as far as I know.:D

What I was trying to get at was that if I have several identical computers, each with a legally purchased cd windows sitting on the desk, instead of going through each and every system, installing windows, activating it through microsoft, then installing a copy of all the other software required, then setting restrictions for public use etc, so in other words set up each system as required, would it be possible and/or legal to do the actions mentioned to only one system, (set it up as required) and then have an exact copy of the hard-drive written to each of the other systems?
This would save a lot of time as it would mean each system would not have to be set up individually and when speaking of 25 systems this could save a good few hours/days.

Also, I've heard of purchasing Windows XP Corporate Edition as a cheaper alternative of purchasing a copy of Windows XP Home or Pro for each workstation. How does this work?

Thanks again,
Patrick

If you purchase Windows XP Corporate Edition, you don't have to activate it at all. That's because you are purchasing a multiple license. Then you can do what you want. Then you can just ghost the HD to each machine, as long as each box is setup exactly the same from Hardware to Software.

I don't have the answer for that one, probably one of the guru's who are out partying, will have the answer, probably have to contact MS though, and yes the corporate edition is cheaper in volume, and that is for sure the way to go. As far as the costs go, it's on MS website.

I'm pretty sure you can do what your talking about with the corporate edition, just not 100% sure, let one of the guru's answer.

Good Luck:D

Thanks gonaads, I wasn't completely sure about that, but now I am. ;) ;) ;)

As far as I'm aware, Product activation goes deeper than just looking at the hardware, as an example if the paticular device had a serial No built in it would take that as well. I seem to remember reading that someone built two identical machines, activated Xp on one and then tried to install it on the other. No go.

Corporate version is probably the best way to go.

Thanks for your responces.
I guess the best option is to use Windows Corporate but after my quick search before I couldn't find any useful information.

Is the price set by the amount of users licensed or is there a flat price?
What is the main difference in content between say Windows Professional and Windows Corporate (other than activation).

Thanks again,
Patrick

Originally posted by patrick
Is the price set by the amount of users licensed or is there a flat price?
I think there's a minmum license with 10 users or so. Above that I think it's pretty flexible.

What is the main difference in content between say Windows Professional and Windows Corporate (other than activation).
Well none as far as I know. Corporate is just Pro with a Corporate license, I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back