Windows wont boot up file missing

kingsam

OSNN Addict
When starting my pc up(WINDXPRRO),it says windows root/system32/ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt please reinstall this file.Cant get into safe mode or anything,tryed the recovery console using the digital webcast.com tutorial to try & fix it but it still didnt work so i had to format & reinstall xp,any help incase this happens again.
Many thanks

:mad:

Try

1. Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
  2. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
  3. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
    Typically this will be #1
  4. Change to the drive that has the CD ROM.
  5. CD i386
  6. expand ntkrnlmp.ex_ C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
  7. If WindowsXP is installed in a different location, just make the necessary change to C:\Windows
  8. Take out the CD ROM and type exit
Taken from http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm

File missing

Hi rushm001,can you explain exactly what i have to type cause im a bit confused mate.Whereabouts in suffolk are you cause thats where i live!

Rush you got a fan there! I won't tell him you support Ipswitch, he he.

Rushm001 why did you advice to extraxt ntkrnlmp.ex_ as ntoskrnl.exe? Ntkrnlmp.exe is the multiprocessor kernel.

You need the kernel version that matches your hardware and servicepack level.

There is a backup of ntoskrnl.exe inside the \Windows\Driver Cache\i386 folder.

If you have installed one of those Windows updates that replace the kernel, it is directly in this folder.
The command at the recovery console would be
copy "C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\ntoskrnl.exe" C:\Windows\system32

If you haven't applied one of these updates but have Service Pack 1 installed the ntoskrnl.exe is inside the sp1.cab file.
The command in this case
expand "C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\sp1.cab" /f:ntoskrnl.exe C:\Windows\system32

In case you don't even have SP1 installed, replace sp1.cab in the command by driver.cab.

kingsam said:
Hey lee,i also support IPSWITCH!!! LOL

Rush don't he loves Delia Smith and likes dressing up in a Bird type Footy shirt!

kingsam said:
When starting my pc up(WINDXPRRO),it says windows root/system32/ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt please reinstall this file.Cant get into safe mode or anything,tryed the recovery console using the digital webcast.com tutorial to try & fix it but it still didnt work so i had to format & reinstall xp,any help incase this happens again.
Many thanks

:mad:
Hi all - I have a friend who has this exact problem but it is compounded some. He has LOST his OS disk. He was running Windows XP Home edition. He wants to update to the Pro version and has already purchased the disk. He doesnt mind if I wipe the drive to get him going so I thought I would do that. So my question is two fold. First - Can I get this system to boot on the new Pro version disk in the CD drive? If so - Where is that command in the bios? Second - what is the command to wipe the C drive once I get the system up? Any help would be appricated..
Thanks
John

One of the screens in the BIOS will have a boot order that you can change. If you change it to CD-ROM first, then the PC will boot straight to the XP disc when you start up. Once the CD starts loading, it will give you some installation options. Among those are options to create or delete a partition, and reformat an existing partition or format a new partition. What I find best is to
1) delete the existing partition (assuming there's only one)
2) create a new partition
3) format the new partition with NTFS
4) install XP on the newly formatted partition
After that, you'll be on your way to installing the OS. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back