Windows wants to Debug or Ignore

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
I got this email from a buddy:

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing what we've experienced on and off lately with our computer. My wife or I will be working at our computer, and then we get a sudden error message from Windows Explorer asking us if we want to debug or ignore. Essentially what happens is that whether or not we choose to debug the issue, our Operating System hangs and then I have to manually shut it off because the Explorer has disabled the programs. I have contacted Microsoft to see what is happening, but am not sure. Overall we have seen things improve lately, but I am wondering what the issue is for this. Is anyone else having the same issue? I am thinking that our friend might because she also uses a Compaq Presario, but it could be other brands that find the same issue. I tried contacting Microsoft Support but they no longer are able to respond unless I get the right e-mail address to send it to.

Heeter

I am pretty sure he can disable debugging, and it may fix it.

Open IE, go to Tools, Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, make sure that Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer) and Disable Script Debugging (other) are checked. That should do the trick :)

You should ask your buddy to join the forum :)

Attachments

• disabledebugging.JPG
    disabledebugging.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 63
Bring up task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and kill explorer.exe in processes tab
Click to the Applications tab, hit new task and type in explorer.exe and hit ENTER.

This is a soft reboot, and explorer.exe will come back, along with your apps, and taskbar.

run a system file check - start, run - type sfc /scannow - with your XP CD in drive, or if you have the I386 folder from the CD on your HDD - point it to it.

In many cases when Windows Explorer (I'm assuming this is what you are talking about, not Internet explorer) does this I begin to suspect something malicious is making illegal calls to the explorer process. Perhaps a hijackthis log?

I'll see if I can squeeze a HJT log out of him. Don't know if it is IE or explorer.exe doing this.

Thanks Guys, will be back in a bit.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back