Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were gonna use VIsta and have VI as six i would of use Vix or Vibe or something snazzy lol

Vista makes a lot of sense when used with "windows"

Pulled this off of Neowin, figured I would help by putting everything in one place :)

"By naming the next version of Windows "Vista," Microsoft may have stepped on the toes of another software company just down the road in Redmond. That would be Vista, a business software and services company founded in 1999 by John Wall. He was not amused when Microsoft announced its choice yesterday, setting the stage for a massive rollout when its flagship operating system goes on sale in fall 2006.

Wall, a well-known technology executive in the area who earlier founded Wall Data, is examining whether the name violates the trademark his company has held for six years. He plans to raise the issue with Microsoft, a company notoriously protective of its own trademarks, and may take the issue to court. "We're going to consider our options and talk to them," he said tersely."

Yeah, I wonder where this is going to go...

Remember the Firefox naming debacle, anyone? :D
Phoenix -> Firebird -> Firefox

This, at least to me, was a very interesting read. I subscribed to PC Magazine for years and always read Dvorak's columns. I'm not posting this to say I totally agree, but he has reasonable opinions and poses some interesting situations.

Something to add to that...

"I'm not saying that Microsoft is doomed as a company, but its reign as the OS dominator may end fast if things go the way I see them headed. The new OS is getting zero buzz. Zero. There has been nothing like this since Windows Me."

Dvorak's living under a rock, and I'm not surprised. No buzz? Guess he's never heard of Technorati. Based on content indexed from 13.9 million blogs across the web, the term "Windows Vista" is the 4th most popular search query this hour. Watch it fly up when Beta 1 goes out later today. No buzz...pfft.

I hadn't even heard of WinME until it went gold, to hear about an OS 3-4 years before it is released, that would be buzz.

Would be like starting the hype for Episode 2 before Episode 1 was out :p

NetRyder said:
Something to add to that...

"I'm not saying that Microsoft is doomed as a company, but its reign as the OS dominator may end fast if things go the way I see them headed. The new OS is getting zero buzz. Zero. There has been nothing like this since Windows Me."

Dvorak's living under a rock, and I'm not surprised. No buzz? Guess he's never heard of Technorati. Based on content indexed from 13.9 million blogs across the web, the term "Windows Vista" is the 4th most popular search query this hour. Watch it fly up when Beta 1 goes out later today. No buzz...pfft.

I would like to know why he claims that there is no buzz. It's hard to make a blanket statement like that and have it be believed if you don't give any reason to support it.

That Davorak guy is a wanker, people have been waiting and wanting this since they announced it was being made. As for the name, I hope the company who owns the name sues the hell out of M$. Give M$ back what they give out .. You watch though, something will happen where M$ will get the name. They will probably offer the guy a nice fat check for it. Case will be closed ...

muzikool said:
I would like to know why he claims that there is no buzz. It's hard to make a blanket statement like that and have it be believed if you don't give any reason to support it.
I'd like to see his reasons for making the claim as well, but I sure as heck won't believe it based on what I'm personally seeing on the web. :D
Apart from the buzz on blogs and news sites across the web, there's a huge amount of community involvement as well. I just went over to Neowin earlier today and noticed a 36-page thread even before Beta 1 is out. The anticipation it's building up is crazy!

I hope whatever buzz it receives turns out to be warranted by the time Vista is released. I haven't looked at the latest specs concerning what will be included, but most of what I'd been hearing up before the name announcement was along the lines of what wasn't going to be included... primarily WinFS. I don't remember, but is Avalon going to be included?

muzikool said:
I hope whatever buzz it receives turns out to be warranted by the time Vista is released. I haven't looked at the latest specs concerning what will be included, but most of what I'd been hearing up before the name announcement was along the lines of what wasn't going to be included... primarily WinFS. I don't remember, but is Avalon going to be included?
The main issue there is that people completely misunderstood what WinFS was.

There was a problem of miscommunication during the early stages of development, especially during PDC '03. All of the end-user features that people were expecting WinFS would bring are still going to be in Vista when it goes RTM - system-wide instant, metadata-based searches, virtual folders, stacks, etc.

WinFS is a development platform rather than an end-user "feature", just like Avalon and Indigo are. It simply enables developers to extend the capabilities that are already built into the system.

One major (IMO) improvement I remember from long ago was that the OS install time would be greatly reduced because setup would identify what did and did not need to be copied over. I remember hearing a complete install at around 15 minutes. Am I on the right track here, and if so is that to be part of Vista?

muzikool said:
One major (IMO) improvement I remember from long ago was that the OS install time would be greatly reduced because setup would identify what did and did not need to be copied over. I remember hearing a complete install at around 15 minutes. Am I on the right track here, and if so is that to be part of Vista?
Yes, that would be due to WIM (the Windows Imaging Format):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/expert/ximage.mspx

NetRyder said:
"Windows Vista" is the 4th most popular search query this hour

I bet I know what the top search is :p

WIM sounds cool, I think my nda dropped but all my notes are on my laptop:p

Electronic Punk said:
WIM sounds cool, I think my nda dropped but all my notes are on my laptop:p
What are you waiting for? Go get it and post! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back