Windows Vista: Your Favorite Features

I agree, there will be a HUGE learning curve for corporate environments.

So it is the fault of IE7 and Microsoft that your in house applications haven't been updated to work with the new browser? ;)

We had some issues previously, but have since updated all the programs and sites and now things work smoothly :)

Did I say its anybody's fault thats a childish game like name calling .

I was pointing out that new OS's and new App's are not automaticaly the way to go , because there are always things that need to be worked out, I dont know where you work or for who you work.

I work for Lafarge

World leader in building materials
N°1 worldwide in Cement
N°2 worldwide in Aggregates & Concrete
N°3 worldwide in Gypsum

Located in 70 countries
A workforce of 71,000 people
253,200 shareholders*

Lafarge was founded in 1833
Sales: 17 billion euros
Current operating income: 2,772 million euros

And in a Corporation of this size with the kind of network we have and the sheer number of things to take into consideration , its not just oh look a new IE is out lets change everything right now !! or Oh look Vista how cute all new and shiny lets install that all over the world right away quick!!

Sorry the real world does not jump on board over night Vista will work its way in over the next year slowly in places and things will be tested and tweaked , we have so many complex programs that run in enviroments like radiation, chemistry, physics.... thermal processing ect ect ect we are not talking about a web page and some office workers :)

Last edited:
Zombie, might have to give this "tweak" a look/see :)

Thanks

If it is that you need IE7 to report it is IE6 to sites - User Agent String Utility

Thanks AZ as always a helpful post with a real solution attached :)

That sphere of the work is not my problem I will handle the worker intergration, desktop enviroment, group policy, and local administrative duties as that is my job, I am one of two local administrator's at the plant.

Re: Windows Vista: The things that you like...

Network Profiles:

This is a great feature for fellow mobile users who regularly switch between different wired/wireless networks. For each network, Vista saves your configuration settings (DHCP/Static IP, DNS servers, etc.) and restores them automatically when you connect to the same network again.

When you first define a network profile, you also specify whether it's a Public or Private network (see screenshot). File/printer sharing automatically gets turned off when you connect to a Private network, and gets re-enabled when you connect to a Public one. This means that you no longer have to disable all your file shares before you connect to that wireless network at the cafe or airport, and turn them all back on manually when you come back home. Windows Firewall in Vista is also profile-aware, so applications that are allowed to pass through the firewall on a Private network are not automatically granted access on a new Public network.

A very handy feature that makes working with multiple networks less of a chore. :)

I would like to expand on this and provide some information that some may not be aware of.

I go from client to client and I am always linking my notebook up to my client's networks. The network profile feature makes this a snap and this feature has become one of my favorite features.

However, I couldn't figure out how to delete network profiles that I no longer needed to keep, until today.

If you launch the Network and Sharing Center and click "Customize" (under the simplified view of the network map) there is an option to "Merge or delete network locations". Using this option allows you to get rid networks you no longer need a profile for.

I was with one of my friends today and she didn't know how the document flip feature works in Vista, one of my fav features :D

For those who have a Logitech mouse or something similar with an assignable button for document flips, just click it and voila, you have the 3-D flip :)

A nice little feature, in case you didn't know about it.

Those are all excellent features. But I'm surprised that no one has mentioned vista's built-in voice recognition system. Without ever touching the keyboard Or the mouse you can open and close programs , surf the Internet , Play music or watch a movie . It's a top notch program That only requires learning some basic commands . It's also improved my typing speed and spelling. All you have to do is go to control panel classic view and click on speech recognition. You guys should give a try and let me know what you think. Here's a demo on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc

The ultimate part of Vista has to be the 3D affect for cascading files, just blows me away.

Not sure why but it does... :lick:

The snapshot looks a little naff because it's a little blocky because of the snapshot for some reason. Never mind it still looks good.

Just in case anybody wants the background I attached it to the thread.
is this view only available with aero or can I turn something on to get it?

Those are all excellent features. But I'm surprised that no one has mentioned vista's built-in voice recognition system. Without ever touching the keyboard Or the mouse you can open and close programs , surf the Internet , Play music or watch a movie . It's a top notch program That only requires learning some basic commands . It's also improved my typing speed and spelling. All you have to do is go to control panel classic view and click on speech recognition. You guys should give a try and let me know what you think. Here's a demo on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc
that looks really good, will give that a go

Or if you have a cool logitech mouse with the document flip (or any mouse with document flip) you can click it and BAM ;)

My win-key is disabled so I resort to this :)

that looks really good, will give that a go

It works pretty good :D

There's obviously a learning curve (on your part and the softwares) but once you get used to it, its GREAT :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back