Windows Vista X86 Pre-RC1 build 5536.16385 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.
512MB. But it's not even that. It doesn't work very well on a Virtual Hard Disk. I need XP on my test box because some things aren't compatible with Vista yet.

VPC 2004 for example ;-). At least my craches before the install completes.

I caved.. downloading the build now. except its got me capped at 80kb/s. :( It will take over 10 hours at this pace whereas it usually takes 2 hrs at around 800kb/s :(

Do they often cap speeds?

I only have a 80kb/s connection, but the transfer rate was 55kb/s at begining - speeding up to 70kb/s when I recoennected. Maybe you should try that?

Installing now :)

EDIT:
Overall, it is pretty solid. I am instlaling Counterstrike on here now to see how that is, but the performance has gotten ALOT better since I used Beta2. So far I am quite happy. In Beta2 when I got my Performance Index, it was a "3.5" now it is a 4.9. Glad that they are fixing issues with the OS. Overall, I like it. Maybe not enough to spend $500 on it, but I really like it so we will see.

Last edited:
Yeah Counter-strike works a treat.

What I really need people to post is any niggling things they don't like or spot.

e.g. installing live messenger does not remove the download live messenger links -- gotta be that petty.

I have noticed when I am using IE that links are not opening up in new tabs. And yes, the box is checked for them to open in new tabs.

I have noticed when I am using IE that links are not opening up in new tabs. And yes, the box is checked for them to open in new tabs.

Have you tried resetting the options to default... I have added snapshot for you just in case you need it, mine works without any issues or problems, try the default settings and it should be fine. Well hopefully.

Attachments

• MSIE_tabs.png
    MSIE_tabs.png
    34 KB · Views: 88
I will try it in a bit. However, I had not changed the defaults other than the homepage, but I will give that a whirl.

EDIT: It is still happening.

Last edited:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_rc1_worst.asp
Paul Thurrot seems to have found a lot of issues with Vista, and I agree with him. However, the amount of control this OS gives you compared to XP is just bloody amazing!

The only niggling issue I've had (and I haven't explored it much) is that World of Warcraft runs, but just crashed. I think it's because I was running it in Maximised Windowed Mode. I'll try it again later. I really just want RC1 to install the new Nvidia drivers - anyone got any news on the public release of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back