Windows Vista Virus Warnings, so it begins....

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Very interesting read...

Five proof-of-concept viruses that target Monad, the next version of Microsoft's command prompt, were included in a recently published virus writing magazine, according to Mikko Hyppönen, the director of antivirus research at F-Secure

Entire article

It's kind of a joke. It could be run on basically any OS.

F-Secure has their pants in a wad over every little thing. These are just Monad scripts running on the system, just like batch files, perl scripts, Ruby scripts, Cygwin bash scripts etc.

Its going to happen anyway, viruses aren't going to dissapear from existence just because Microsoft have updated their Windows security. :rolleyes:

Luna said:
It's kind of a joke. It could be run on basically any OS.

F-Secure has their pants in a wad over every little thing. These are just Monad scripts running on the system, just like batch files, perl scripts, Ruby scripts, Cygwin bash scripts etc.
Thank you. You are spot on. Here's a good read on this (non) issue: http://www.leeholmes.com/blog/MonadAndTheFirstVistaVirus.aspx

I liked this quote by Adam Barr - "Are you concerned that every version of Windows has the dreaded "cmd /c rmdir c:\ /s" virus in it? If not, then you have no reason to be concerned about Monad." :D

I thought it was MSH they where targeting MS Command Shell, or is it one and the same thing?

lancer said:
I thought it was MSH they where targeting MS Command Shell, or is it one and the same thing?
Yes, it is. "Monad" is the codename for MSH.

It appears the news sites jumped the gun a little too early...

Several news sources reported late Thursday that the first virus for the next generation operating system Windows Vista had been discovered. However the virus is written for Monad, a Unix-like command shell replacement for DOS, which may not even ship with the operating system and may not be part of any Microsoft OS until at least 2009.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Reports_of_First_Vista_Virus_Inaccurate/1123258141

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back