Windows Vista RC1 Build 5600-16384 Released

thx ElementalDragon, i'll give a try later and i'll post the results.

I know theres a lot of ppl wanting to try there gx2 with vista.

i wanted to try it out on a dual boot. I have tried 5536 and 5552, but neither of them work with my card and i cant disable SLI in the bios to even try it out.
I dont fancy wasting more time only to find a black screen at the end of it

Oh SLI Mode... Oh that brings back memories of the old days when you connected two 3DFX cards in SLI mode and got 64MB GFX card...? (Although some of the younger generation would not remember this but, the first time playing Quake on a card in SLI mode was just amazing detail. I spent £500.00 on two card for my machine back in 1997 or 1998.

Anyway disable SLI mode, if my memory serves me correctly you can disable SLI mode in the display properties. Not sure if this has changes from the old days but it used to be.

Try it and let me know if you can locate it.

Well it makes perfect sense if you're in the United Kingdom, one does use the European Servers. :)

Mainly because at the time, it looked as though every single connect Tecnical Beta Tester was downloading in the USA. The European servers were fine and the download rate was just amazing. :lick:

ah, makes sense. That would be a good reason then :)

Mecham: it's not that SLI doesn't work in Vista. apparently, in some of the earlier builds, Vista had problems installing on systems with 2 video cards (like the problem i had.... creating a non-existent secondary display). RC1 and Pre-RC1 were the latest two builds i could install since...... hell.... i don't even REMEMBER the last build i was able to install. And if you install the just released Forceware drivers that were made for RC1 in RC1, you get the detail, but you don't have any option to enable SLI. it just doesn't show up in the options.

Read the release notes for the Forceware driver - it explicitly states that SLI is not ready yet as this driver is only for testing purposes.

Read the release notes for the Forceware driver - it explicitly states that SLI is not ready yet as this driver is only for testing purposes.

that would be all good and well, but if you cant even install vista in the first place to be able to install the drivers.

Anyway, I just tried build 5600 with xfx gx2 7950xt, still no go.

It installs the files, then i just get a black screen after 1st reboot

that would be all good and well, but if you cant even install vista in the first place to be able to install the drivers.

Anyway, I just tried build 5600 with xfx gx2 7950xt, still no go.

It installs the files, then i just get a black screen after 1st reboot

Hmm that sucks. Is there any way to force your card to only use one chip?

probably the only way to do that is to take the two cards apart, seeing as the only thing making them a single card SLI solution is the mini-bridge chip(s) between the two cards.

probably the only way to do that is to take the two cards apart, seeing as the only thing making them a single card SLI solution is the mini-bridge chip(s) between the two cards.

Yeah that's it ED... I remember now. your correct, disconnect the SLI link cable from the cards, and revert back to single.

Thisi s what I used to do with my cards when I was using SLI mode. It was not as advanced as as it is now, but the principle of the technology is similar.

tbh, i dont like the idea of taking apart a 400 uk sterling card. Think i'll wait until final comes out, or at least until someone finds a way of doing it.

The only porb now it the i have 3 old vista installations on one of my backup drives and no way of deleting them. It just wont let me no matter what i do.
I have tried altering the permissions, cmd prompt, safe mode command promt and still no signs of getting it deleted. It always says its in use, even when i disable the HDD, reboot, re-enable and try deleting.

What i've read so far it can only be deleted in vista or via a format, and i have too much stuff on there to back up to format

The only porb now it the i have 3 old vista installations on one of my backup drives and no way of deleting them. It just wont let me no matter what i do.
I have tried altering the permissions, cmd prompt, safe mode command promt and still no signs of getting it deleted. It always says its in use, even when i disable the HDD, reboot, re-enable and try deleting.

What i've read so far it can only be deleted in vista or via a format, and i have too much stuff on there to back up to format

Dunno if it's possible, but you could make a partition with the 3 vista install using partition magic or some other program, format the partition and the merge back again.

well..... taking the cards apart doesn't seem like that complicated of a task.... think it's only like.... 4 screws that hold it together, then the mini-bridge chips.

Has anyone had any luck getting the new Windows Mobile Center to open? I connect my WM5 device, it says it connects but the Center never opens up. I go to the Control Panel and try to launch it from there and I get nothing.
I asked a friend on the inside about this, he's going to check into what the issue may be related to, as well as any potential fixes/features coming down the pipe.

Stay tuned ;)

All you have to do (and I've not seen these cards in person) is to take off the SLI bridge, then they will be recognised as two separate cards....

*Edit* http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/05/geforce_7950_gx2/page2.html

I've had a look at that, and it looks like you DO need to pull the cards apart to disconnect the SLI bridge. Like another poster said, it shouldn't be that hard to, but I can understand your reluctance. Maybe, if you have some spare cash, just get a cheap 6600 and plug that in just for Vista? It's more than decent enough to run Aero.

Windows Vista 5600 Evaulation Watermark

Hi, i have currently installed the windows vista 5600 version but the watermark that is always on the desktop is doing my head in. how can i remove this?

Threads merged.

You can't remove it.

Howdo, i have got the Windows vista rc1 build 5600. does any1 know how to remove the main watermark which constantly appears on the desktop?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back