Windows Vista Build 5744.16384 Released

Netgear UK tech dept now admits that many if not all PCI network cards do not support Vista !

Back to same old...... "press restart = shutdown PC" as in Beta 2.

Versions from Beta 2 to RC1 worked normally!
Anybody else, same problem ?

lol 'admits'? They didn't make that bug, MS did. :p

As for my NIC, it worked ok after a bit, but it's not PCI, it's onboard (nForce 4)

You can lol or whatever and yes there have been internet bugs of course in Vista
Bottom line also however no beta drivers have been issued by Netgear .

whoa easy tiger, no need to take offence.

There's been plenty of bugs, but you accept that when you run Beta software. Most of them seem fixed now.

one question... i have rc1 installed on the same drive as xp
if i install rc2 as an upgrade, will the dual boot remain the same or does the install overwrite something?

also, anyone tried the new forceware graphic drivers? (the ones that only work with rc2) are they any better than 96.33?

thx in advance

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_96.85.html:
Release Highlights:

* These drivers are only compatible with Windows Vista RC2 build 5744 and higher, and should not be used with other versions of Windows Vista.

It's REALLY no recommended to install Vista on the same partition as XP. You should really create a new partition and MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL OFF THE DVD!!! Running both OSs on the same partition means they both write to the same folders, which is a recipe for major disaster, especially with badly-coded programs. Also, if you install off the DVD, it will make the Vista partition C: drive when Vista boots. It's a bit annoying to work with as the drive names keep jumping around between OSs, but it handles poorly-written applications better.

It's REALLY no recommended to install Vista on the same partition as XP. You should really create a new partition and MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL OFF THE DVD!!!

Might help if you read a little closer before posting as the post said the same drive not the same partition.
one question... i have rc1 installed on the same drive as xp

Might help if you read a little closer before posting as the post said the same drive not the same partition.

Might help that he didn't specify and a lot of people use the word 'drive' to mean partition, even though he might not. Anyway, I didn't accuse or whatnot - since he wasn't clear in what he was saying I chose to tell him about the shortfalls of installing Vista in that particular situation. Excuse me for trying to be helpful. :dead:

sorry... i thought it was clear i was talkin 'bout drive... i don't think you can install both on the same partition

Sorry, I've never myself attempted to try that, but any operating system before Vista was able to install itself to another directory on the same partition as an existing one.

Hence me not being sure which you were referring to. Anyway, I hope the rest of my post was able to help you regarding the Nvidia issue.

Also, dual boot should still work fine, but you might start seeing multiple windows entries for the same thing. You can see them by going to your command prompt and navigating to the system32 directory inside the Vista Windows directory. Then run bcdedit.exe (it's the boot config editor) and run it with the help switch. It should have a command to display the entries and you should be able to delete the old one. However, it's not critical that you do, it's more of a neatness thing - if you leave it there, you'll still be able to boot fine.

That all being said, I've not done a Vista upgrade before, so results may vary.

thanks for the info

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back