Windows Vista Build 5744.16384 Released

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
You can grab it from Connect, more details to come!

Last build released to us before RTM, eh? :)
Will start the download when I get back home tonight.

Holly cr**...? I don't know what Microsoft have done to this build but, it installed in 30 with all the other cr** and loading desktop for the first time total time was around 35 minutes. It installed a lot faster than previous builds which I was impressed with.

Only one thing, apart from the fact it runs smoother than RC1 I cannot seam to find what has been changed. I could be to do with the fact it's 02:00 and my eyes are not functioning correctly due to being tired...:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

lol glad to see it's running smoothly - I can't wait to get my paws on it! :D

Anyone know if I can install over RC1 with this?

Mecham: you think that's fast.... you shoulda seen the one version of Longhorn i was able to get my grubby little mits on. i'd swear it was up and running in maybe 15 minutes at most, from restart prior to starting install, to booting.

the question i'm asking myself is..... do i REALLY wanna download ANOTHER version of vista? i just downloaded build 5728 last week......

why not?

Installing as an upgrade now....let's see how it goes

Last edited:
Running it now....is this RC2?

Using 20% of 2gigs of Ram on this laptop, not sure how much this is down, but I like it :)

I think that is down.

:D I cant wait till monday when I can fire this up on my core 2 duo E6700 :)

Borrowed a 1gb flash drive to see what it does with that supercache/fetch thing :)

Man, I installed this and it decided about half-way through the first session that the network would stop working. I rebooted, and the same story - the network card refused to get an IP. Anyone else come across this?

:D I cant wait till monday when I can fire this up on my core 2 duo E6700 :)

Borrowed a 1gb flash drive to see what it does with that supercache/fetch thing :)
You mean they allow you to use that through USB? I thought that was a hybrid-HDD function only. Most usb flash drives arent even that fast, especially through USB.

Hmmm... that network issue worked itself out, but I've found a really annoying bug. If you try to do any kind of search from the start menu, it goes 'Cannot find the program for the specified extension' or something along those lines. That's a pretty big bug to be in the pre-RTM build... :-/

is that in this build only? i never had any issues with the search there.

well.... the hybrid HDD crap i think was for the most part for extremely fast booting. the pen drive stuff seems to be mostly for improved performance in Vista.

is that in this build only? i never had any issues with the search there.

I haven't had a chance to run any other builds. I think I'm just going to wait till it goes RTM. Hopefully all the UI bugs will be fixed at least. In order to try to duplicate the problem I had:
* Do a search on your start menu for something you know won't work. Then click search elsewhere.
* You can then try to click the search on the right and you should get the same error message.

Hmmm... that network issue worked itself out, but I've found a really annoying bug. If you try to do any kind of search from the start menu, it goes 'Cannot find the program for the specified extension' or something along those lines. That's a pretty big bug to be in the pre-RTM build... :-/

Same problem with Netgear network card....should not have to remove, reinstall software and reintroduce...is that what you did ?
Main connection works fine with router/modem ( newish model )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back