Windows Vista Build 5365 Ultimate (April Refresh)

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
The following are now available to technical beta testers on Microsoft Connect:

Build 5365 (X64)
Date 21/04/2006
Size 4,039.89 MB
Version 5365
Category Build
Milestone Beta 2
Product Keys
5342 and Up Ultimate Keys
Files
- vista_5365.8.060419-1800_winmain_idx05_x64fre_client-staged-dvd-LB2CxFRE_EN_DVD.iso
- 5365 FAQ

Build 5365 (X86)
Date 21/04/2006
Size 3,097.88 MB
Version 5365
Category Build
Milestone Beta 2
Product Keys
5342 and Up Ultimate Keys
Files
- vista_5365.8.060419-1800_winmain_idx05_x86fre_client-staged-dvd-LB2CFRE_EN_DVD.iso
- Updated 5365 FAQ

http://connect.microsoft.com

Started downloading the x64 build last night. I did finally receive those gift cards I was waiting for, so I'll be getting an additional hard disk for my desktop this week to install this on. :)

Notice how the ISO sizes have grown quite a bit this time? The x64 build is nearly 4GB now.

Yeah lots more drivers.
Installed it on my laptop but not my main rig yet.

hopefully the drivers will be able to support the laptops we have here this time.

at least its downloading at a steady 400kbs

failurbydesign said:
thats a huge iso...
Well, they do have a whole DVD to use up this time around. :D
The more the number of built-in drivers in the RTM build, the better it'll be.

woot - managed to download both 32 and 64bit versions during my off-peak download period. Installing 32-bit version tomorrow, and I finally got a DX9 card out to check out Aero Glass.

NetRyder said:
Well, they do have a whole DVD to use up this time around. :D
The more the number of built-in drivers in the RTM build, the better it'll be.

you think it will end up a dvd9? Those are $$$

I am at work but I will post up some comparison shots after work and a few words of course :)

Got it installed on my D600 and its so much faster, installing it on a D620 because they have buggered em up until June so will prob be sending it back anyway and should be inheriting a D610 soon with an X300 which I know can do glass.

Then of course will be installing on my main test rig a little later which can do everything. Ever.

Showoff :smoker:

Look forward to your comparison shots and words later :)

Just placed my order for the hard disk on Newegg. Should be here in a couple of days. :)
I'm curious to see how well this CompletePC Backup works. It's an awesome addition to the OS. If it works well, I won't really need True Image or Ghost anymore.

Vista's backup functionality has been overhauled into a new Backup and Restore Center that is both attractive and simple to use (Figure). Now, Backup creates the equivalent of a Virtual Hard Drive (VHD file, just like VirtualPC), when you perform a a full system backup. And you can restore that backup from the new Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). This feature is now called CompletePC Backup. If you want to backup specific files and folders, you can use the Files and Folders Backup Wizard which, like CompletePC Backup, is available from the Backup and Restore Center.
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5365.asp

install this build last night. Went well, about 45 min install time which is about what most people are reporting on the NG's.
Runs much smoother and faster than the previous build, althought he searchindex thing crashes at startup and again later on, which i've seen reported elsewhere as well.
Also, again as seen else where, the welcome center fails to install some addital hardware (where it says install hardware that wasn't installed during setup or somthing) but then if you go to the device manager and intiate it then it works fine.
Network stuff is better, last time i had to jump thorugh some hoops to get it to find my main box on the network, this time it picked it up right away, even though it was on a different workgroup.

Still think that rating thing is a bit odd though, it seems to rate an athlon 1800 higher than a gig of RAM.

Not played with much else atm, copied some music across and will play with media player a bit more tonight

yeah the searchindexer crashes alot, I think the sidebar may also do it, which is a shame cos apart from that its a very stable build.

not had any problems with the sidebar so far, its actualy improved for me. used to hang and not remember siettings and things before. Now there are more gadgets and they seem to work well

NetRyder said:
Just placed my order for the hard disk on Newegg. Should be here in a couple of days. :)
I'm curious to see how well this CompletePC Backup works. It's an awesome addition to the OS. If it works well, I won't really need True Image or Ghost anymore.

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5365.asp
I'll have to give that article a read - should be interesting to see how it works on backing up files/folders in use if the job is scheduled.

Got the new drive and installed 5365 x64 on the desktop this evening, just before I left for home. Didn't have a chance to play with it much yet, but it's the first time I have true Aero Glass on one of my own machines with no software-rendering reg-hacks. Spiffalicious. :)

Setup still takes a while, but it actually tells you what's going on at each step now, so it's a little less frustrating than sitting and watching a progress bar crawl across the screen, having no idea what's going on. Performance of the installed OS is already pretty solid though. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot more time within 5356, provided I can get all my essential software and development tools running properly. Let's see how that goes on Monday.

The Search Indexer wasn't crashing on me, presumably because my locale is set to EN-US.

Other than that, not much that I can say at the moment. Only had about 15 minutes to play with it before I had to pack up and leave, so more later...

I had the problem where the previous version didn't want to work with the video card. So the graphics were terrible. Now this version has drivers that work properly with it so that my laptop is running the latest version of Vista on it.

I love the OS but still haven't found some of the simple features that everyone is using, like transparent start menus and whatnot, or the "3D" like alt+tab menu. It's ok though, I've been having a good time with the OS.

The only setback I'm finding is that the Wireless connection on this version seems to want to have to be told to connect again and again with every log off and restart. It won't auto log back on onto the network it was connected to and saved to.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back