Windows Vista Beta 2 Cancelled?

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Since this isn't confirmed, I didn't want to slap it on the front page. But Paul T said there is a possiblity Microsoft will cancel Beta 2, in favor of CTP releases until RC0 is available....

In its manic bid to keep Windows Vista on track despite constant development delays, Microsoft could cancel its eagerly anticipated Beta 2 milestone and simply utilize Community Technical Preview (CTP) releases until Release Candidate 0 (RC0) is ready in March or April 2006. According to my sources, this plan would allow the company to continue plotting the final release of Windows Vista for the third quarter of 2006.

When asked to comment about these plans, however, Microsoft denied that it was canceling Beta 2. "Microsoft is not canceling [Windows Vista] Beta 2," a company representative told me, noting that comments by Amitabh Srivastava, the corporate vice president of Windows Core Operating System Development at Microsoft, made during yesterday's conference call with the press, are relevant to this topic. During that call, Srivastava said that Beta was "less urgent" than before because of the company's new engineering process and early CTP feedback.

Full article:

http://www.windowsitpro.com/windowspaulthurrott/Article/ArticleID/48613/windowspaulthurrott_48613.html

Why would they want to do that though? I don't get why they wouldn't want the more people involved in testing Vista.

If this is true that is.

Well, if you think about it, Beta 2 is just a label given to a regular build. Apart from the name, it really isn't anything more than a CTP...perhaps one that's been more rigorously tested before release.

I somehow doubt they would "cancel" a major milestone like Beta 2 though, but you never know. We'll see... :)

Grandmaster said:
Why would they want to do that though? I don't get why they wouldn't want the more people involved in testing Vista.

If this is true that is.

That would make sense to me too. The only thing I could think of is that they are satisfied with how things are going, and don't want to jinx it by possibly getting invalid bug reports?

Your point makes sense though, you'd think they would want it out there as wide-scale as possible. Also could mean that Beta 2 won't be feature complete, and they don't want to disappoint the general public?

NetRyder said:
Well, if you think about it, Beta 2 is just a label given to a regular build. Apart from the name, it really isn't anything more than a CTP...perhaps one that's been more rigorously tested before release.

I somehow doubt they would "cancel" a major milestone like Beta 2 though, but you never know. We'll see... :)

Although Paul T used the word, perhaps the proper way of stating it would be not to release it the public?

It is a milestone though and as Vista will effectively be feature complete after December, why not just release that labelled as beta 2.

The line is blurred now, beta 2 doesn't really mean anything now anyway.

NetRyder said:

That's what I understood of the situation, so the only real reason I could think of was that they don't want large scale testing done on it.

kcnychief said:
That would make sense to me too. The only thing I could think of is that they are satisfied with how things are going, and don't want to jinx it by possibly getting invalid bug reports?

Your point makes sense though, you'd think they would want it out there as wide-scale as possible. Also could mean that Beta 2 won't be feature complete, and they don't want to disappoint the general public?

I think MS has mentioned they wanted to get it feature complete by Beta 2, faster than any Windows version ever so they could focus more on stability.

kcnychief said:
Also could mean that Beta 2 won't be feature complete, and they don't want to disappoint the general public?
Hmm...that would contradict what EP gathered from the conference call the other day:

Microsoft has been very pleased with the feedback it has received so far during the beta program and as a result has said that Windows Vista will actually be feature complete by the end of the year allowing the rest of the development time to concentrate on stability. This is the earliest in the beta cycle that a version of Windows will have been feature complete.

Last night I was told that beta2 would be released in the first quarter of next year, but like I said it just a theoretical milestone it doesn't actually mean anything...

... although it could be a version that is released to the public, as originally promised.

Should be an interesting story to follow, I saw it over on bink.nu as well but it only cites Paul's original article.

While you are suing him, ask him why he still uses FrontPage :p

Personally, it's really not that big of a deal. You will still get the same build that Beta 2 would be. It would just be called something else.

The theory behind it though, was that Beta 2 was to be public. If it did get cancelled, we would loose legit access to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back