Windows Vista Beta 1 announced!

yah no fooling. thats just way too much money for what it is. jeez. There has to be another way reps for trying marge. Rather
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Evil Marge again.
if i could hehe.

I will watch the video tonight.

But.

Really the "written for this" part is BS. How many companies use all 100% up to date newest latest greatest software?

What I would like to see is a way to keep our AS/400 sessions active through a power cycle on the machine, as a document opened on a session will remain locked for the whole day if the power goes down for a few seconds. Pain in the ass.

Mebey use someting like suspend to disc? It works.Mebey use the last active data from the page area to reinstate a session after the power comes back on.

It's nice that the GUI looks better, kinda like some of the themes for KDE :D.

Whadabout driver availability? Do they have a short list of supported hardware?

Content is starting to appear on Connect.
Will hopefully be downloading this overnight :p

Files are there (NDA friendly edit ;D)

I have my key :D

Beta newsgroups are still closed!

Last edited:
Yep, I see the stuff on Connect. :D
I might have to wait until I get back home this weekend though. Don't have any DVD media with me right now. Or I should check if they have any discs here at work...hmm.

I love going to my weekly softball games, only to come back finding out the new version of windows is 34 minutes away :)

34 minutes!

I gotta wait till the final version comes out and then get money for that :|.

Still at work...won't be back home until 9PM, as usual.
I think I'll just wait until the weekend. I need to create a disk image of my laptop before I install this anyway. Plus the download speeds on Connect will probably be much better once the frenzy cools off.

If I could wait for this long, two more days won't kill me. :)

NetRyder said:
Still at work...won't be back home until 9PM, as usual.
I think I'll just wait until the weekend. I need to create a disk image of my laptop before I install this anyway. Plus the download speeds on Connect will probably be much better once the frenzy cools off.

If I could wait for this long, two more days won't kill me. :)

Ah, MS Connect, nevermind :)

wooo, finished burning, here's the autorun screen :)

Attachments

• autorun.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 89
Hehe nice. Since you're probably going to be the first one here to install it, let us know how it goes. :)

Installing as we speak, the key I was e-mailed didn't work but I was able to clear that up!

Although it's beta, the installer needs work. There is no information in the first process, only that it is "installing". After a reboot, there is a slider on the bottom, but it just keeps going left to right repeatedly. I hope they work on the installation progress for next beta.

Also can confirm that at the splash screen, it says Windows Longhorn, but there was a graphic when I got a peek at something else that said Windows Vista Beta 1 Build xxxx (didn't catch the build number, as it was brief).

In response to NetRyder's post on the article describing features, I don't know what to say except for W-O-W. The UAP seems darn cool, but I'm more excited to get my hands on WinFS :)

Currently, it says "completing installation", so I will try to post some shots when I can.

I'm installing it on a Dell GX270 form-factor PC. This machine was previously running Windows Server 2K3, which did not have a Video Driver. I hope Vista has the drivers this puppy needs....

Didn't get a chance to watch the video yet, I have to keep things quiet as a certain someone is sleeping, but tomorrow morning definitely. I want to see them make fun of him and put quarters on the table :)

More to come when available....

*is making post from Windows Vista*

So far, not bad...

Re: Drivers, only one it didn't find was my Audio, which I won't use on this PC anyways.

Re: system information, calls it Longhorn still

Re: bottom right corner, note it says Vista

IE 7 too :)

Man, so much cool stuff, almost don't know where to start :)

Attachments

• ie7.PNG
    ie7.PNG
    33.1 KB · Views: 116
  • mainscr.PNG
    mainscr.PNG
    767.6 KB · Views: 117
  • sysinfo.PNG
    sysinfo.PNG
    29.4 KB · Views: 110
Sorry, lol, I'm probably going to SPAM the HECK out of this thread, but I wanna add things as I notice them...

1. Windows Update Website does not yet work for Longhorn. Only option is to configure and enable the service to run and/or install in the background. Not bad, but I wanted to see if any were available yet :)
  2. IE7 seems to re-open the last page you were at when you closed the browser upon a re-open
  3. Services.msc is PACKED. I will have to compare, but man there are alot...
  4. Default wallpaper is called Bliss, which is the same as the "Longhorn" Paper. No real new wallpapers, there is an item that says "xp" but says longhorn when you use it. (see attachment)
  5. I never was a fan of single-click, but it almost seems to fit within Vista. The Start Menu RULES, in the sense that it's a real-time version of explorer, similar to a web browser.
  6. Save As dialog boxes are good too, real easy to navigate.
  7. Supplemental Driver Pack started at boot, but found nothing that wasn't already installed. Said something about installing devices to run in a WinXP-like mode. Guess they aren't too far there yet :)

Attachments

• Untitled.PNG
    Untitled.PNG
    203.3 KB · Views: 110
More....

1. SWEET LORD, system restore is set to 50% by default. YUCK!!!
  2. Built-in Parental controls, will have to play with that once I create more user accounts, seems nifty...
  3. Taskbar properties are a little different. Makes me feel as if something is missing and they haven't figured out what to add yet. There is alot of "grey space" in this area.
  4. Tabbed browsing in IE7 works real well, by default it is a blank page which is nice. Other tabbed browsers I have tried replicate the current page.
  5. Recycle bin icon looks like the MAC Recycle Bin, not sure how I feel about that..
  6. My Computer is now called "Computer"
  7. I like the status-bar type description of how full a drive is for both HD and Removeable Media
  8. Hmm, Documents and Settings setup is a bit weird, Virtual Folders...hmmm Indeed...
Need to go to bed, going to spend much time with this tomorrow. Overall, not bad. Obviously it's a beta, obviously there is work to do.

At first glance, there are too much "bells and whistles" for my liking. I'm sure they can all be turned off, but that's a little excessive. I almost want to say 1GB of RAM should be recommended rather than 512MB for XP for stable running.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back