Windows Vista and Bluetooth - Annoying Notification Area Icon

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
I have been dealing with an annoying problem ever since I started using Vista. Both my desktop and notebook have Bluetooth. The icon in the notification area re-appears when...

• I turn the desktop or notebook on; or restart
  • I insert or eject a CD/DVD
  • I plug in or remove an external hard drive or flash key

The checkbox for "Show the Bluetooth icon in the notification area" is not checked. Also, please do not suggest manually hiding the icon in the notification area.

Does anyone have a resolution for this annoying problem?

Thanks.

Have you considered manually hiding the icon in the notification area?

:smoker:

And not sure but if you don't have it checked, there must be something else activating it.

Windows has an issue with showing crap that I don't need to or want to see. For me, it is my LCD icon for my keyboard/s at work and at home :( (2 g-15's).

may sound crazy but are you walking up to these systems with a cell phone or something bluetooth in it that might be triggering it?

also have you installed all the recent hotfixes that microsoft released recently...a lot of fixes in the pre sp1 hotfixes that took care of some of the problems...

Can you change the service to start Manually?

Saz, one advantage to Mac - Apple has Bluetooth perfected (or so I've heard).

Tuffgong4, both systems are not in discovery mode, therefore it doesn't make a difference. However, I am using Vista RTM with all the latest hotfixes/updates.

falconguard, I haven't tried that; I will try that and report back.

EDIT:

Setting it to Manual or Disabled had no affect on the icon appearing. Not quite sure what is making that icon appear on startup because I checked for other services and startup items. Nothing.

Last edited:
Also seen bluetooth on my laptop disregard being told whether to show it or not, but i use it so sparingly.

Is there an updated bluetooth package or is it all by ms?

Saz, one advantage to Mac - Apple has Bluetooth perfected (or so I've heard).

Tuffgong4, both systems are not in discovery mode, therefore it doesn't make a difference. However, I am using Vista RTM with all the latest hotfixes/updates.

falconguard, I haven't tried that; I will try that and report back.

EDIT:

Setting it to Manual or Disabled had no affect on the icon appearing. Not quite sure what is making that icon appear on startup because I checked for other services and startup items. Nothing.

I don't use any bluetooth products with my notebook and have it disabled by default. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back