• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows Vista and Bluetooth - Annoying Notification Area Icon

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
I have been dealing with an annoying problem ever since I started using Vista. Both my desktop and notebook have Bluetooth. The icon in the notification area re-appears when...

• I turn the desktop or notebook on; or restart
  • I insert or eject a CD/DVD
  • I plug in or remove an external hard drive or flash key

The checkbox for "Show the Bluetooth icon in the notification area" is not checked. Also, please do not suggest manually hiding the icon in the notification area.

Does anyone have a resolution for this annoying problem?

Thanks.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Have you considered manually hiding the icon in the notification area?

:smoker:

And not sure but if you don't have it checked, there must be something else activating it.

Windows has an issue with showing crap that I don't need to or want to see. For me, it is my LCD icon for my keyboard/s at work and at home :( (2 g-15's).

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political User
may sound crazy but are you walking up to these systems with a cell phone or something bluetooth in it that might be triggering it?

also have you installed all the recent hotfixes that microsoft released recently...a lot of fixes in the pre sp1 hotfixes that took care of some of the problems...

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Saz, one advantage to Mac - Apple has Bluetooth perfected (or so I've heard).

Tuffgong4, both systems are not in discovery mode, therefore it doesn't make a difference. However, I am using Vista RTM with all the latest hotfixes/updates.

falconguard, I haven't tried that; I will try that and report back.

EDIT:

Setting it to Manual or Disabled had no affect on the icon appearing. Not quite sure what is making that icon appear on startup because I checked for other services and startup items. Nothing.

Last edited:

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political User
Also seen bluetooth on my laptop disregard being told whether to show it or not, but i use it so sparingly.

Is there an updated bluetooth package or is it all by ms?

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Saz, one advantage to Mac - Apple has Bluetooth perfected (or so I've heard).

Tuffgong4, both systems are not in discovery mode, therefore it doesn't make a difference. However, I am using Vista RTM with all the latest hotfixes/updates.

falconguard, I haven't tried that; I will try that and report back.

EDIT:

Setting it to Manual or Disabled had no affect on the icon appearing. Not quite sure what is making that icon appear on startup because I checked for other services and startup items. Nothing.
I don't use any bluetooth products with my notebook and have it disabled by default. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix