Windows Updating

N

Not Bman

I have this old 905Mhz computer, has been running XP for awhile now. It's not my computer so I don't know whats been done on it over time.

I just recently wanted to update WMP from 9, to 10, then to 11. It gives me an error saying it can't update. So I go to Windows Update, and the site can't even load, gives me some weird error report.

I have never seen this before, anything to do with updating dosen't work.

I have run spyware, and antivirus and have found nothing at all.

Could be a hacked copy of windows and only critical security updates will get through. Add ons like WMP are blocked from update.

Even then I would still expect it to come back and say your windows is bogus buy a real one. Though that annoying feature can be blocked. It depends on how much and what was done to crack it. Not that I'm knowledgible about such things...

can you post what the wu error says or a screenshot?

Well, dosen't matter now. I did a CCleaner, and then restarted, CHDISk has been wanting to go for awhile, but I always kept skipping it. Well i let it through, it took like 20 minutues and now i cant get into windows, becasue of the file hal.dll is corupted, it asks me to reinstall that file, i cant get into safemode, cant boot floppy, or cd nothing..

Im totally stuck.

You really can't boot off cd into recovery console?

Sounds like your HDD may be failing.

cant boot floppy, or cd nothing..

??? you must be doing something wrong here... you should be able to boot from a cd even if the os/hd got corrupted

try booting from your windows xp cd and then repairing your install...

if that doesn't work try this:

after booting from xp disk, start recovery console and enter the following lines

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini

DEL C:\Boot.ini

BootCfg /Rebuild

Fixboot

after this restart

Yea thats my point, its screwed up, it dosen't do anything.

Can't load into a cd, floppy or harddrive, it just asks me to repair that file. Which I can't. The error comes before any loading happens.

If you can't use F12 to get the boot menu, try changing the boot order in the BIOS. You can boot to a CD or a FDD without even a HD present, so it appears there may be a disconnect on what you are trying to do here.

I can get to the memu, for choosing Safe Mode and stuff, but everything I click on sends me to that same error.

do as kcnychief said and change the boot order from bios... if you still get the error disable the hd in the boot list completely (just leave the cd and the floppy)

I can get to the memu, for choosing Safe Mode and stuff, but everything I click on sends me to that same error.
That menu is options off the hard drive, you need to get boot options for the machine as a whole - check in the BIOS.

I don't know if I'm not listening or what...I'm confused.

I can get to the BIOS, i have changed it from floppy first, cd first etc.

They all go to this error message, if I keep pressing F8 I get to the safemode options, none of those work either.

Now what are you telling me to do...

You need to put something in the floppy drive or cd rom drive and boot to that , if it is windows xp then boot from the xp cd

Wow, I must of said something wrong in my first posts.

yea of course I put something in, it wont load it, still gives the error.

That's my whole problem.

It cant give a missing hal dll error when you boot from the cd or a floppy
Is that the error your still going on about or did I miss something here?

Yes that same error, no matter what i do, nothing can get passed that error message, it goes to that message instead of booting from cd, thats why I need alot of help, cause thats very weird and impossible.

2865d6a7.jpg

Yes that same error, no matter what i do, nothing can get passed that error message, it goes to that message instead of booting from cd, thats why I need alot of help, cause thats very weird and impossible.
What CD is in your CD-ROM? The CD itself has to be bootable, otherwise your PC will look at the CD first and then go to the next available boot device which seems to be your hard drive. If you look at the tower, do the LED's blink on the CD drive before it eventually ends up at your hard drive? If that's the case, your boot order is functioning but there may be an issue with your CD or it might not be bootable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back