Windows Updating

Did we ever get to the bottom of what the actual error message was?

The cd that I put in is the Windows XP disc. It can't be that cause I know that cd works, plus I have tryed floppys and other cds.

Back to basics. Physically unplug ALL HD's to make sure it is not an issue, nothing in the floppy drive, and boot to the XP CD. And make sure you do not have any thumb drives inserted in a USB port.

If you still get the same error message go back to NLM's post because the problem is in Bios or the MB. You could try reflashing the Bios (or restoring it if your MB supports bios restore) if you can get a floppy to boot. If not RMA time on the MB.

If you can boot successfully with the HD unplugged read this.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

Then pull the HD and use an external enclosure or another computer to fix or delet boot.ini

And I'd reflash that bios to make sure it has the correct one installed. The HD should get disabled from Bios.

Last edited:
Umm even weirder, I now set it to CD ROM first, Floppy Second, and Harddrive third, and when it was restarted i just kept pressing all the buttons.

It came this this weierd screen, sry I couldnt read it and post it here, but basically it made me choose a different profile, and then I restart.

Now it gets to the windows XP loading screeen, but once thats done it reboots, like it dosent have power to get in or something.

I think this system is just getting too old.

if it reboots itself it may be encountering a critical error... i don't think it's an hd problem otherwise it'll probably lock up, not restart (at least that's what happened to me)

try to completely disable the hd in the bios to see if you can boot from cd and then try doing a clean install of windows (diff folder first if you want, if that doesn't work wipe hd then install windows)

if you can't boot from cd then there must be something wrong with your bios (either settings or bios itself)

Umm even weirder, I now set it to CD ROM first, Floppy Second, and Harddrive third, and when it was restarted i just kept pressing all the buttons.

It came this this weierd screen, sry I couldnt read it and post it here, but basically it made me choose a different profile, and then I restart.

Now it gets to the windows XP loading screeen, but once thats done it reboots, like it dosent have power to get in or something.

I think this system is just getting too old.

I removed everything but the CD ROM, and it gives me CDROM BOOT ERROR. When I do that and just leave the Floppy I get nothing, and with just the Hardrive I get the loading screen, but restarts all the time.

That link dosent help, cause i cant boot into windows or cd.

seems like your something in your motherboard has gone wrong (maybe the ide controller?)

i think you'll need to send it to tech support... but considering its a 900mhz, maybe it's time to upgrade...

Yea, pretty old system. I guess there isn't much else to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back