Windows update problem

kingsam

OSNN Addict
Hi ive got xp pro on my machine,updated every month via the update site,now when i tried the link button in the start menu,it says...
this update only supports windows operating systems....Cant get to the update site,any other way.Help.Thanks

If you're too lazy to click the link, here's what to do:
First, lets clear out the temporary storage locations.
1. Click on Start, then Control Panel. Double-click on Internet Options
2. On the General tab, in the Temporary Internet Files section, click on Delete Files. Check the box to 'Delete all Offline Content' and click OK.
3. Close the Internet Options window.
Next, we need to clear out the Windows Update folder.
1.Click on Start, then My Computer. (Or on Windows 2000 machines, just open the desktop icon) 2.Open the C drive
3. Open the Program Files folder
4. Open the WindowsUpdate folder
5. Delete everything you find in this folder, including subfolders.
6. Close this window Next, we need to check the WUTemp folder.
1. Click on Start, then My Computer
2. Open the C drive
3. Delete the WUTemp folder and all of its contents.
And lastly, we need to remove the current control files on your machine.
1. Click on Start, then Run.
2. Type in 'regsvr32 iuctl.dll /u' (without the quotes) and click OK.
You should get a successful message, click OK on that as well.
3. Click on Start, then Search, then choose All Files and Folders.
4. Click on Advanced Options, and check the first three boxes listed there.
5. Type in the file name IUCTL.DLL and click Search Now. Delete every copy of this file that you find.
6. Run the search again for the file IUENGINE.DLL. Again, delete every copy of this file you find.
Once all of this has been completed, try the Windows Update Site again.

Sounds like you have a firewall or some other security program blocking your browser information being submitted - which is required by most website, especially Windows Update

Windows update probls

Hi tried the above procedure,and its still the same.The only firewall that i have installed is the xp one(on),and sygate pro version 5.1
thanks.

Disable the XP firewall if you are running Sygate. Try WU with all firewalls off, I know Zone Alarm can cause problems with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back