Windows Update Prob

fish2198

OSNN Junior Addict
I got one of my computers that for the past many months will not complete downloading updates from the Windows update site.

I am running Windows WP Pro Home Ed. (without SP2)

When I go to the sight and select the updates to install and go to the install updates all it does is download, download and download some more.

Right now it says I am downloading like 1,200 MB. And if I leave the update site and come back later it picks up where it left off.

Is there some way for me to clean out what is already downloaded or get it to start clean.

I tried searching for a large file or a recently modified file and could not find anything that looked like it could be a temporary file with no luck. (Looked for hidden files too).

I even went to the Windows Update problem FAQ section and that did not seem to discrible my problem.

I do not get any error messages with the download.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

First, You can't have XP Pro home ed. You have either XP Home or XP Pro.

2nd, I suggest you download the network installer for SP2 and install that and then try using windows update.

OK, it's Win XP Pro.

Where do I get the network installer for SP2.

And do I really want to install SP2. Have all the bugs been worked out of it?

The other thing you might want to consider is downloading Windows Installer 3.1 and the latest version of BITS then go to http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate

The new Microsoft Update combines updates for all major Microsoft applications including Windows, Office (XP and 2003), SQL, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back