Windows Update KB893066

L

Lee

Windows Update KB893066 (4/12/05) breaks the old SP2 TCP Slowdown Fix, if you had the old one installed or recently installed KB893066, you will need to download a new one and repatch.

This patch allows 50 concurrent TCP connect attempts instead of the usual 10 allowed by Windows XP SP2.

Download: Here (Version 2.12)
News source: iexbeta.com

Awesome Lee. I havn't needed more than 10 yet.... but I use the 'concurrent' sessions tweak all the time. Much easier to handle people using my beast to check their email and of course inadvertantly attempt to install spyware while I'm working. They don't interrupt my RD connection. ;)

It's fun to see two users as 'Active' in Task Manager.

Why is the title making it seem like this patch is from Microsoft?

The title for the KB article refered to in the title of this thread says "Vulnerabilities in TCP/IP could allow remote code execution and denial of service" and not that Microsoft has released a patch to remove TCP/IP restrictions that were put into place with SP2 in the TCP/IP stack.

People should know that this is a third party patch that breaks this restriction and is NOT from or approved by Microsoft.

Well the link I posted for the XP64 is direct from Microsoft.

And this is the link for XP SP1 and SP2 direct from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...7E-5A9E-4AA9-9E84-802A1BC5436C&displaylang=en

Overview
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

And the date of this "update" is 04/11/05, not 04/12/05 as in Lee's post. Starting to make me wonder.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back