windows update foolishness

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
ya know, sometimes they are just brainless

you know whenyou're getting an update, and you want to go do other stuff on the internet

the message pops up "well, if you leave, we'll hate you for it, and we won't even protect your computer till you come back and start all over again"?

what's up with that?

I know I can just open a new browser window, but they should have that covered in the code

If you leave the site the Windows Update Control dies.

Not too bad if you just open a new windows and leave it in the background.

Should change the whole system and not have it based in a webpage if you ask me, but yea :p

there is, its that little globe that pops up on the task bar and says new updates are ready to download.... it usally pops up about 15 minutes after a fresh install. and unless you do the windows update page every day it updates faster then the web site. the patch for the blaster worm was auto updated like a month b4 everyone started getting infected. so either people disabled windows update and never went to the web site or windows update downloaded everything and they never bothered to install it. or there on 56k and they see it say new updates and don't even bother because it will take weeks to get them. so really there are two methods one semi automated and one not.

The automated windows update is all well and good, but its generally disabled to improve performance (us tweaks eh).

The whole system should be pulled into something very similar with the option to automated updates or just the ability to run the module when you require it.

Having it as a online extention makes its a pain for many users. Pause/Resume would be cool to for the slower connections.

Anyway... WU is due for an update and with the changed to ActiveX coming in they may do something a little different from what we have been expecting from ver 5.

what kind of performance boost could you possibly get from disabling auto update?.......

Originally posted by Krux
what kind of performance boost could you possibly get from disabling auto update?.......

Takes the edge of back ground processes, i did not say it was logical but auto-update is more of a pain in the ass for those who keep current anyway.

funny, when I need a critical, I enable the auto..

.but there are the non criticals, and the driver updates too.

so I have to manually use the site when I want those

Originally posted by Enyo
Pause/Resume would be cool to for the slower connections.

Windows XP has this feature. When XP starts to download the updates in the background, you can right click the globe and pause it and then disconnect from the net. Next time you get on the net, you can right click the update globe and click resume.

Works for me! ;)

Originally posted by Jason Roberts
Windows XP has this feature. When XP starts to download the updates in the background, you can right click the globe and pause it and then disconnect from the net. Next time you get on the net, you can right click the update globe and click resume.

Yea but i was referring to it within the main WU site not just AutoUp.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back