Windows Update File

W

WiredBrain

Can I know where Windows XP Pro store the files from Windows Update?

Originally posted by WiredBrain
Can I know where Windows XP Pro store the files from Windows Update?

do you mean the downloaded files? In the IE temp folder until it extracts and installes them. The go all over the place once installed, the uninstall is kept under c:\windows\$NTUninstallQ.... folders.

Hope this helps. EJ

Is this means that I cannot find them because Windows will automatically install them?

Can these files be removed without causing any trouble?
Thanks.

if you remove the files you wont have the updates anymore ... you can remove an update in the add/remove programs ( control panel) but that is only if you are having trouble after installing an update .. you need the updates in most cases... security ones for sure .. so answer is do not remove the update folders better just leave all that alone

Originally posted by WiredBrain
Is this means that I cannot find them because Windows will automatically install them?

these are hidden files , you need to enable view all files in the folder options .....

you can safely remove the $NtUninstallQ######### folders as long as you do not want to remove the update, this does nothing to the update itself, just the ability to uninstall them. After removing then click in the add/remove list on them and they will be removed as well.

Originally posted by j79zlr
you can safely remove the $NtUninstallQ######### folders as long as you do not want to remove the update, this does nothing to the update itself, just the ability to uninstall them. After removing then click in the add/remove list on them and they will be removed as well.

I did not know that the update stayed ....but seeing as they are not very big over all mine total 17mb I would leave them alone ...I dont see the gain I mean if your hurting for 17mb of space go collect coke cans and beer bottles and buy a hard drive lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back