windows taking its time to restart/shutdown

D

dominic02

when i go to either shut down or restart it takes a while for my computer to actually start to shutdown. It just sits there as if i hadn't told it to shutdown or restart. Then after a minute or two programs start shutting down and than windows shutsdown. Does ayone know what could be causing this?

Welcome to the forums dominic02. :)

For starters have a look over here. Let us know if you find anything or not.

If not let us know a little more about your setup.

Heh yea i always forget to say what i've got.
I've got a 2.8ghz p4b, 512mb ram, 64mb ATI radeon 9000 running windows xp professional.

That site looks great, haven't gotten a chance to go through it yet though.

Thanx for the reply.

I've had this problem before where I could wait up to 5 minutes for my pc to Shut down. If you have a Via chipset Install the latest 4in1 drivers and it will fix your problem.

Good luck

try this

open regedit

Hkey_Local_Machine/system/controlset001/control

then change waittokillservicetimeout to a lower number, that way xp will wait less time before killing services as it shuts down

theres also a AutoEndTasks (change to 1) setting in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
This forces any task, that does not respond to the shutdown, to end.
You can also change Value of WaitToKillAppTimeout The default: is 20000 milliseconds (20 seconds). If the user process does not end by this time, AutoEndTasks is invoked.

can try all at once or one of them at a time, whatever

always backup regkeys before changing them

How about using bootvis to improve the shutdown speed?

And check if the pagefile is beeing cleared on shutdown:
Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile.

Greetz

Lukas

I don't know the link to BootVis by heart, so here it is.

Greetz,

Lukas

You should really try installing the right via drivers first.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back