Windows SP2 firewall question,

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I know that the firewall is a great tool for incoming connections. Is there someway/anyway that I could use it to stop outgoing without the use of a third party firewall?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Winders firewall has always asked me about programs connecting to the net, an I have to give the OK.

I still like aports (active ports) though to check my connections.

Steevo said:
Winders firewall has always asked me about programs connecting to the net, an I have to give the OK.
The XP SP2 Firewall permission dialog only appears if the application needs to accept inbound connections.
This will change in Vista - the firewall also monitors outbound connections.

Heeter, to answer your question: No, there is no way to get Windows Firewall in XP SP2 to monitor outbound connections.

Last edited:
I kind of figured that would be the answer, Nets. But doesn't hurt to ask.

KC, I have tried that ghostwall firewall, it has problems with my local network and the network printer. And as well I could not figure out the GUI at all.

Too bad, that would be right up my alley.

Heeter

My problem with Ghostwall is that it doesn't have application-level control like the other third-party firewall apps. The developer who works on it has also pretty much made it clear that this won't be added to future versions either. Too bad. =\

Heeter said:
KC, I have tried that ghostwall firewall, it has problems with my local network and the network printer. And as well I could not figure out the GUI at all.
Heeter

I haven't found a third party firewall yet that doesn't give me fits sharing files and printers. If you find one let me know about it.

i use kerio 2.1.5 for application and other custom network rules. but mostly trust my routers inbound protection.

another very good one i used was look n stop.. which u can turn on/off application filtering/network filtering independantly

both very very light on system, no probs at all with printers or file sharing.

I use Sygate Personal Firewall and have no problems with my network. Of course Symantec had to go and buy Sygate to destroy it, but the version I have still works.

was a sygate user for 2yrs+ got pissed off with the way it caps your lan transfers at 4k sec whilst muching up 60%+ of your cpu...
sygate admitted the problem, but could never fix it.. apart from its resource useage, its a great firewall

I've never noticed/had that problem?

I know most of you hate or bash it, but I have always loved ZonaAlarms free firewall. I think it is very customizeable, I use it on a broad scale and have never really had any major problems I couldn't fix.

Heeter: here is something you may find useful:

The Windows Firewall that comes with Windows XP Service Pack 2 is a stateful host firewall. It discards all unsolicited incoming traffic that doesn't correspond to either traffic sent in response to a request by the computer, or unsolicited traffic that has been specified as allowed via Exceptions, thus providing a good level of protection against malicious users or programs. It's also pretty flexible; you can easily configure a number of options via the Windows Firewall interface, which is available in the Control Panel.

Visiting every Windows XP system in order to make changes in this fashion isn't practical. Fortunately, you can make adjustments to the Windows Firewall's default configuration by editing the Windows Firewall INF file, Netfw.inf. Then, you can roll out the changes simply by distributing an edited copy of this file.

That's promising. I like that.

Thanks D,

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back