Windows Shuts down at will!

Steely

OSNN Addict
Anyone come across this problem?

We're using XP workstations on our 2k network, all Compaq EVO PCs (P4, 1.8Ghz,256MB RAM). For the past 2 weeks, we've had over a dozen PCs restart themselves while users are working (in various apps). We are unable to see a pattern that could be causing these machines to restart themselves.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Dan

First thing you want to do is go to System Properties - Advanced Tab - Startup & Recovery Button and UNcheck: Automatically Restart. They systems are probably rebooting because they are encountering errors. Once you disable the option you'll see a blue screen with an error instead of a rebootl.

As simple as Pretzel Logic ;)

haha! Love the Pretzel Logic link!! ;-)

We've tried disabling the automatically restart option, but it still restarts - no blue screen of death and no diags in event viewer to say what is causing the PC to reboot.

We're hoping and praying that this can be rectified without having to reimage the PCs affected as with over 400 PCs on our network and growing, it would take a week to reimage should the image to be proven to be at fault. Luckily only a dozen or so PCs are affected at the moment, all in various locations and using different apps when crashing.

Well, the next obvious question would be - have you checked for a virus that may be spreading / replicating across the network?

Yes, we're using Sophos Sweep (much to my personal annoyance!), we update the Server every day for the latest virus identities and found nothing. We even disabled Sweep on the server to see if that was causing the problem, but the problem remained still.

We are trying combinations of XP with and without SP1 to see if that could be causing problems, so hopefully that might shed some light on the problem.

On the whole, the 2000/XP is performing wonderfully. We are migrating as quick as possible to the new network from the awkward/frustrating novell networks (Windows 3.1/NT networks), which is taking some time as we've got a 6000+ user base to migrate, with just 3 support technicians including myself, it's a daunting and sometimes, thankless task, but hey, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks for your advice though Allan, it is appreciated.

I have this prob as well I have been told it could be a memory problem still waiting to get my one fixed so I dont know the out come yet

For us, installing SP1 has fixed the problem. Great that we've finally got it fixed, but now we've got to reimage over 400 PCs! So much for a day off tomorrow! :-(

Bloke, have you installed SP1 on your system?

Dan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back