Windows Shutdown

djwhite

OSNN Senior Addict
My dad has a problem with his computer that I can't fix, so I thought I'd ask you guys. Anyway, whenever he tells his computer to shutdown the message comes up about saving his settings or something and then it goes to a blank desktop with no icons or taskbar and just sits there for 10-15 minutes. Anyone know what could be causing this.
He's running Windows XP Home and apparently this starting happening about 3 weeks ago, so I don't know if he installed anything bad beforehand.

Lots of disk activity during this period of blankness or none?

Easy CD Creators not installed is it :D Number one cause of shutdown issues and hangs in XP.

Find out whats running in the background its possible one app is hanging or causing an issue.

Try the WaitToKill hack so that hung processes are killed faster (mind u they would not be going for 15mins)

The reason i ask about the disk activity is page file clearing??? Again that would not take 15mins! Possible though :eek:

Hard disk light blinks every 10 seconds
Easy CD Creator not installed

Have shut down all apps running in the background, no change.
The WaitToKill thingy, no change.
How do I find out if the page file is clearing?

Check this Reg Key:

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Memory Management
Name: ClearPageFileAtShutdown
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1

1 would mean it is clearing 0 would mean it is not

I doubt its that because of the time taken but check it anyway

Check the system event log for errors from servive control manager that may indicate an hanging service.

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow, it's late now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back