Windows Server 2003: WinHttpAutoProxySvc 12517/12503

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
After implementing WSUS and all of my 2003 servers updated to the latest version of Update I am seeing two informational events on all of my 2003 servers.

Please see screen shots.

All servers are Windows Server 2003 SP1 (Latest Patch Level). This doesn't occur on any of my XP or 2000 workstations.

Of course Microsoft Support/Knowledgebase has nothing on these events.

Last edited:
I just uninstalled Sophos from my workstation (as it was seriously glitched) and saw this

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Sophos AutoUpdate Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service stopped.

My guess is that the error is saying that it can't make a change to something as it has lready been done, purely an informational error - I am sure it is fine.

Last edited:
It happens every time WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service is sent the start control.

"Implements the Web Proxy Auto-Discovery (WPAD) protocol for Windows HTTP Services (WinHTTP). WPAD is a protocol to enable an HTTP client to automatically discover a proxy configuration. If this service is stopped or disabled, the WPAD protocol will be executed within the HTTP client's process instead of an external service process; there would be no loss of functionality as a result."

I am certain it is fine. But it appears when the servers (only 2003) updated it didn't install the correct registry information.

It appears after updating my servers with the latest set of patches that the problem has corrected itself. I am going to monitor it over the next 48 hours. I'll let you know.

The weird thing is that they show up broken (like my original post) when I check the Event Viewer from my computer (right click, connect to another computer). But when I look at the Event Viewer on the server itself it is the right message.

Odd if you ask me.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back