Windows Server 2003, what controls population of printer list?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

I've been noticing a minor issue here at work. For the past year or so, I have gotten into the habit of adding every printer to the server so that jobs were more easily managed, and printers could be more easily installed on machines. The only thing I don't like about this method is that if you install a printer on a machine this way, it only is installed for the profile you install it under.

One issue I've been having is recent additions do not seem to be getting published in the list. Frequently I will setup a printer on the server for a specific tray as the request comes in. Once it's added and shared, I go to view the printer list and of course I don't see it there; I typically have to then add it by the \\computer\sharename method. I also noted that a printer I added a few weeks ago also is not displaying in the list.

1) What controls how quickly a printer goes from being setup / shared to being published on the list?
2) Is there any way to speed up that process so they are immediately available for addition?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back