windows server 2003 standard or slackware linux as server

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
sorry if this is in the wrong place but as per the tile which would people go for, i have enough knowledge to set up both, im just not sure as to which one to use

Server for what? File storage, email, webserver, etc.

My answer is going to be linux unless you want/need active directory and/or exchange.

web - to host my film collection using vcddb, and ftp/storage -all for home use, yes i was leaning towards linux myself.

as to frebsd - im not that grat with linux, so i think freebsd isnt an option - plus i have no cdrs atm to test it out, why dont they release a dvd - got plenty of those ;)

Last edited:
i thought i had freebsd 5.2 floating about here somewhere but i dont - and im fresh out of cdrs (rarely use them now) so cant test it

I second FreeBSD, especially for web hosting. If you have a lot of money lying around then go with Server 2003.

even if its just going to be used in home,webhosting is not going out onto inet

Really. I just switched my servers back to FreeBSD after a year running various linux distros (had to get up to speed with them and learn various software interactions for work). I also have a 2003 server for "other things" but I can pay for that monthly.

just as i will have to learn all the feebsd commands if i choose it, diong a bit of reading on their site now

90% of them are identical to linux. After all, Linux is an attempt at a unix like OS. FreeBSD being full on Unix is much more resilliant and capable though. Additionally with everything being in a set place you'll know where to find configuration files.

I truly believe it is the easier non-windows OS to spring form while also being the more powerful and able of them.

well i need to wait till a friend brings over some blank cdrs for me ( im not buying a pack of 25 just for a few cdrs i need ) and maybe i will give it a go, see how i feel with it, on a diff note can it be used as a desktop os too, or is it more suited to server role ?

It can run Xorg, gnome and kde just like any of the linux distros.

The best thing about FreeBSD is the quality of the man pages (some ones for Linux are appalling) and the availability of the FreeBSD Handbook

might add it to my laptop as well then - we have to see how i get on with it i suppose

the more i read it comes down to two OS's slackware and freebsd, and quite a few are using both, now i dont kow wether to use freebsd for server and my laptop, or use slackware.........sigh - on a plus side all the reviews i have been reading praised freebsd but go on about a drive geometry bug, can someone fill me in on that? what excatly does it not see right ?

Last edited:
What geometry bug? All my hard disks (SATA or PATA) are deteced correctly.

just alot of the reviews and various other webpages/forums kept refering to that partitular bug, is there a way to get the bootonly iso onto a usb key so you can install it from there ?

Last edited:
I've only had a drive geometry problem with FreeBSD when using one of those NetCell RAID card things which only failed because it returns spurious geometry information

ok last thing im not too clear on although i know it will do it, but how mature is freebsd in the way of lvm.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back