Windows Server 2003 free from Microsoft!

dave holbon

OSNN Veteran Addict
Well almost!

Did you know that you can obtain a three month (90 day) evaluation of Windows Server 2003 free from Microsoft? I have downloaded it and whilst it’s not as pretty as XP, is sure a more stable development environment. I have not a single issue with it so far.

:) :) :cool:

Yeah, I got the free 90-day trial CD several months ago. Never really did anything with it though.
The university MSDNAA license provides us with free complete versions of Windows Server 2003 - Web Edition, Standard and even Enterprise, along with most other Microsoft software and operating systems, so I'd just use that if I ever needed to. :D

it would be best if you provided the download link or the website along in the post

I been using 2003 standard server on my file server for a couple of months now. I like it alot. It is a really nice OS ...

dave holbon said:
I have downloaded it and whilst it’s not as pretty as XP, is sure a more stable development environment.

If you want it to be 'pretty' like XP, then start the Themes service in Computer Management or the Services MMC in the administrative tools. You might also want to start it to start automatically while your there. You can now use the XP theme in the Display properties.

sophomERIC said:
If you want it to be 'pretty' like XP, then start the Themes service in Computer Management or the Services MMC in the administrative tools. You might also want to start it to start automatically while your there. You can now use the XP theme in the Display properties.
it's a server not a eye candy display lol. Then if you are using it for a client pc then I guess the themes would be cool ...

Little bit of a side topic on this. I've tried logging on to a Win2k3 server from a Winxp laptop (wireless) and it takes probably 30secs to connect. Just wondering what's actually causing this delay.
Also, should I be able to see who is connected to the server (on the server machine)?
Cause I can't see any machines being connected to the server when I look in the task manager.

ming said:
Also, should I be able to see who is connected to the server (on the server machine)?
Start > Administrative Tools > Terminal Services Manager > Sessions (i think) :)

I have the enterprise edition for a year i think. Stupid me lost the damn cd key because it comes in that lil cardboard thingy and it got mixed with the trash on my computer desk and i threw it away.

TittleBitties said:
I have the enterprise edition for a year i think. Stupid me lost the damn cd key because it comes in that lil cardboard thingy and it got mixed with the trash on my computer desk and i threw it away.
Ouch! How much does it cost for a Server licence? £300-£400?

been running Win2k3 Server on my server for several months now and really like it. I'm currently running a file server, ftp server, web server and teamspeak server. Win2k3 has been more stable and faster than other operating systems that I used in the past on the machine. I started with Gentoo, then moved to Windows 2000 Server, and now to Win2k3 server. Win2k3 has not only been easier to maintain than the other ones, but has also been faster and much more stable. I don't believe that I have rebooted the server in about two months now. When running Win2k or Gentoo the machine either crashed or had to be rebooted at least once a week.

Elektro Slime said:
wow something actually free from from ms.............
Haha, trust me. I've received plenty of free stuff from them.
wink.gif

i tried like 10 cd keys from a place and they dont work. It sucks :(...o well

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back