Windows Script Host when logging into machines

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Lately more and more issues have been occuring on various clients involving the Windows Script host. Users are issued a script that applies when they first login. This script handles the mapping of 6 or so mapped drives. Unfortunately, lately more and more computers have been having issues applying this script, when someone logs off and then at some point someone logs in (Doesn't matter how long they wait).

This issue doesn't occur on the first boot / first login of the machine... but will always occur thereafter. It doesn't seem to occur quite on every machine, but it happens on more and more now.

script.jpg

Being for a police department, this issue is becomming more critical, due to the amount of users logging in and out of the machines... and if the drives don't get mapped, they lose crucial access to their reports and other files.

Can someone please help me figure out a resolution to this problem?

howdy..

first, you may want to blank out the name of your servers.. generally not a good thing to shout out to the world.

second... what command is line 6 running (you can blank out the names of the server as well here)? It could be that the drive is already mapped and you are trying to remap the exising drive.

A little more info here woiuld be helpful in helping you :)

No problem!!! I have no problems giving you more information, just have to let me know what you need, hehe!

Ok, first I took your advice and hid the server name. Second off, here is the script that's being run:

Code:
Dim objNet

Set objNet = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")

objNet.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\********\HOME"
objNet.MapNetworkDrive "I:", "\\********\Apps"
objNet.MapNetworkDrive "Q:", "\\********\formdata"
objNet.MapNetworkDrive "S:", "\\********\schedulesoft"
objNet.MapNetworkDrive "T:", "\\********\Traffic"
objNet.MapNetworkDrive "W:", "\\********\idphoto"

Unfortunately the only drives that get mapped are when the user logs in. If I login as the administrator, there are absolutely no drives that are mapped.

You can start here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=841570

Beyond that.. start answering questions :)

are you using the fully qulified domain name in the \\***\<Sharename> section? meaning.. are you just putting in \\<computername>\<sharename> or are you putting in \\<somedomain.domainname.com>\<sharename>?

Are you able to ping the computer name and/or fully qualified domain name?

Also.. Are these occuring on windows 2000 or windows XP? Service Pack levels?

Windows 2000 domain or windows 2003 domain?

Do any of the drives get mapped correctly?

Do you have access to the group policies on the domain? (in particular, look in the settings:
Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options/LAN Manager Authentication Level... may also want to check the login script group policy settings , run login scripts asynchronously or something like that)

edit:
Unfortunately the only drives that get mapped are when the user logs in. If I login as the administrator, there are absolutely no drives that are mapped.

Logging in as a local administrator account will not run the login.vbs script as it is a domain login policy.. and thus not have any of the drives mapped (assuming you have it setup as a login script on the domain user account properties..)

Last edited:
are you using the fully qulified domain name in the \\***\<Sharename> section? meaning.. are you just putting in \\<computername>\<sharename> or are you putting in \\<somedomain.domainname.com>\<sharename>?

We are only putting in \\<servername>\<sharename>, not <servername>.<domainname>.com.

Are you able to ping the computer name and/or fully qualified domain name?

Yes, when this error occurs, I'm able to ping the server by either IP Address or FQDN.

Also.. Are these occuring on windows 2000 or windows XP? Service Pack levels?

Windows XP SP2 Machines... Also, this only really beginning happening more frequently, recently... This leads myself and a few others to believe that this is due to perhaps a recent windows update.

Windows 2000 domain or windows 2003 domain?

Windows 2003

Do any of the drives get mapped correctly?

Negative Ghostrider, my belief is that as soon as the script fails, especially at the first mapping, it doesn't process the rest.

Do you have access to the group policies on the domain? (in particular, look in the settings:
Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options/LAN Manager Authentication Level... may also want to check the login script group policy settings , run login scripts asynchronously or something like that)

Yes! I do have access to the scripts, the policies, everything... I'm an administrator, hehe. Unfortunately though I know very LITTLE about "LAN Manager Authentication Level". I also know nothing about running login scripts asynchronously.

Logging in as a local administrator account will not run the login.vbs script as it is a domain login policy.. and thus not have any of the drives mapped (assuming you have it setup as a login script on the domain user account properties..)

Yeah, I'm aware of that, I was just stating that we don't have logon script associated with the administrator account. I'll read over that KB, although I highly doubt this has anything to do with mup.sys... I mean why would it work on the first login?

just out of curiosity, what happens when you try to map the drives manually after the login script fails?

Sorry about the delay!

When I try to map the drives manually, I get the same error message, "No Network Provider can accept the given network path". Also, I noticed that when the script fails, I am entirely unable to change the computer's name, description, and domain status either. Peculiar.

Also, another update:

As this request was cross posted on message boards, someone else responded to me to a script that they use. The script is completely different on the way it operates, though I still have it mapping the drives. Another difference is that this script hands out the mapped drives by running from a GPO, instead of running as a script from the user's profile... and I still get the same error messages.

Oddly enough, I contacted Microsoft in regards to this issue, and they wanted to go over some things. While we were having some other strange issues with the primary culprit from this issue, they wanted me to remove and re-join the machine to the domain. Upon doing so, I wasn't able to re-create the script host error... I definitely need to try this some more tomorrow when I am back at that client.

I will keep you guys up to date!

Try these steps, though to me I don't smell victory here.... worth a shot

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/127933

Sounds like MS is getting close - they do solve the majority of stinky ones I get - thank god I have unlimited calls to them.

Oh - and can you post us the errors along with the event id that show up in the security log?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back