<windows root>\system32\hal.dll file is corrupt or missing

i found this

includes memtest86+ and a couple of hard disk testers

u should give it a try.. here's a download link

just to be sure
burn it as a cdimage, not adding the file to a compilation (that way it'll be bootable)
if you tell us which program u use for burning cds we may be able to tell you how to do it

We don't discuss illegal software here besides, who said it's a burned disk?

1) I'm not talking about illegal software
2) Are you following the same thread I am?

I'm just trying to help... normally I bill $130 an hour for said help.

Are you trying to expand the file(s) from the recovery console or through Windows msconfig?

Recovery...I think?

i found this

includes memtest86+ and a couple of hard disk testers

u should give it a try.. here's a download link

just to be sure
burn it as a cdimage, not adding the file to a compilation (that way it'll be bootable)
if you tell us which program u use for burning cds we may be able to tell you how to do it

I don't use a program o_O I drag and drop because it's the only way I know how-as Mom said: She's the techie geek xDD Tell me which I /should/ use and I will though c=

Geeze louise! No need to be snippy. We asked for help and you volunteered it. If you don't want to help without charging, we're not going to hold a gun to your head until you do o_O Thanks for trying, though.

I was commenting off your original statement
How did you burn the disk? What program did you you use?
The word burn leads most to believe it's illegal software. Appreciate the help bmclaughlin807 :)

Geeze louise! No need to be snippy. We asked for help and you volunteered it. If you don't want to help without charging, we're not going to hold a gun to your head until you do o_O Thanks for trying, though.

The help was freely offered. Her jumping on my case without understanding what I was asking about wasn't appreciated. (Who, exactly, was snippy?)

An .iso file is an image of a cd... you can't just drag and drop the file onto a blank cd with Windows explorer and be able to boot from it or do anything with the files inside of it.

You need some actual burning software... personally I use ImgBurn... it's free and works well.

Save the .iso file to your computer, open the ImgBurn software, and Choose 'Write Image File to Disk' .... select the file you downloaded and then click the button to burn it.

Then you'd be able to boot from the disk and run your tests.

Ultimate boot cd is good.. I've used it to test systems before... You'll want to do memtest, and a hard drive test at a minimum.

If it was in my office, I'd pull the hard drive and run some diagnostics on it from another machine while I did the memtest... and put a copy of the files back on the drive while I had it mounted on the other machine.

The format/install was it a:

1. Totally new install by deleting partition/create partition/install windows

OR

2. Repair install through windows setup (start windows setup then after windows files load you push Enter setup windows now, push F8 to accept the EULA then after Windows discovers your install and lists it you push R to repair).

The format/install was it a:

1. Totally new install by deleting partition/create partition/install windows

OR

2. Repair install through windows setup (start windows setup then after windows files load you push Enter setup windows now, push F8 to accept the EULA then after Windows discovers your install and lists it you push R to repair).

It was a totally new install c=

I burned the .iso file to a disk and it's running on the laptop now so we'll see how that goes c=

Do you have any external drive or USB memory sticks plugged in?

If so disconnect them and see if PC will boot.

Did you use any bootcfg commands in recovery console after the fresh install?

If so the boot.ini may have multiple entries.

What you may want to do is create a BartPE CD so you can boot from that and go into the laptops file system. You will be able to see/edit/replace any file you want to by booting from the Bart cd.

There are instructions at the above link that will guide you through creating the CD. Make sure the A43 File Management Utility plugin is enabled when you create the CD as this is what you will use to explore your laptop. You can also have network support through Bart so you can copy good copies of the files to the laptop and replace the bad ones.

After booting from the Bart CD, launch the A43 File Management Utility then open your boot.ini file of the laptop. You may need to unhide files through folder options to see the boot.ini file.

It should look something like this if XP home:
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

If it is different then post what it says.
If the boot.ini file looks ok then we can move onto replacing those files using Bart.

EDIT: also get the Firefox plugin so you have web browser support

Did you use any bootcfg commands in recovery console after the fresh install?

If so the boot.ini may have multiple entries.

What you may want to do is create a BartPE CD so you can boot from that and go into the laptops file system. You will be able to see/edit/replace any file you want to by booting from the Bart cd.

There are instructions at the above link that will guide you through creating the CD. Make sure the A43 File Management Utility plugin is enabled when you create the CD as this is what you will use to explore your laptop. You can also have network support through Bart so you can copy good copies of the files to the laptop and replace the bad ones.

After booting from the Bart CD, launch the A43 File Management Utility then open your boot.ini file of the laptop. You may need to unhide files through folder options to see the boot.ini file.

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
If the boot.ini file looks ok then we can move onto replacing those files using Bart.

Will this still work as I run Windows Vista on my desktop, and Windows XP pro on the laptop?

Use the Windows XP cd to make the BartPE cd.

Oh I see now. I must have mis-read that instruction c= *runs to make CD*

EDIT: I get to step 6: Hit the "build" button. PE Builder will now ask you to create a BartPE directory, answer with "yes". When I hit the "build" button, though, I get this error: Invalid source path (cannot find file e:\i386\setupldr.bin).

??? lol

EDIT: I get to step 6: Hit the "build" button. PE Builder will now ask you to create a BartPE directory, answer with "yes". When I hit the "build" button, though, I get this error: Invalid source path (cannot find file e:\i386\setupldr.bin).

??? lol

Are you leaving the windows cd in until you create the file?

Can not take windows cd out and put in a blank one to burn to until file is built.

What I do is tell bart to create an iso file then afterwords burn that to a blank disc.

Also, make sure you have network support and firefox support included on the cd. You may have to get the drivers for your network adapter to put on the cd.

I don't think you read the first few posts as if you had you would have read this has already been tried.

i did read it and all i see is general statements like "i tried to copy or expand the file but didnt work." i could probably be of more help if i could get exact commands that were entered. ive repaired a laptop recently w/ this same error, w/o spending hardly any time on it.

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

So I have XP Pro on mine and this is what it says:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=1
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back