Windows Registry

Have fun, Alex.

We expect a complete report in the morning...:D

Later...

For the WinNT stations: OOPS! Totaly forgot it wasn't the same version of Regedit! I'll try it again on Monday morning.

Now, for XP. I tried the Command Prompt -> Edit. Scanned, nothing in the file. Tried changing the header to REGEDIT4, didn't work either (not that I thought it would, but was just trying it out...). Tried creating my own reg file named APK.reg, saved it as an ANSI file, didn't work either.

Oh, and I did all this with the latest version found at winsite.com. I'll keep playing around with it, and do some testing on ME too. I'll let you know of any developments/discoveries as they happen. I have a wedding to go to this afternoon, so I don't think I can give you any news until late tonight or tomorrow.

It does have the right header. I'm just saying that for testing purposes, I tried to change it to regedit4. I wasn't expecting it to work, and of course, it didn't. I don't know anymore. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all your files, and still can't get it to work! GRRRR!

I thought I might have been doing something wrong, but did the exact same things in ME, and it wrote the keys it found to apk.reg, as it's supposed to. The account I'm using does have administrator rights, so I don't see why it won't do it...

Just adding my 2¢
I'm running XP Pro and didn't have any problems.
What I can say is that it took extremly way too long-about 25 minutes.
I haven't seen anybody mention this program (if so I missed it): Registery 1stAid-a relatively new program from RoseCity Software cost is $29.95, but can be used without registering, limit of 10 entries cleaned at a time.
Anyway it took about 5 minutes to run through, caught everything APK Registery Cleaner did plus 5 or 6 more. Alec, I have the files if you are interested.
No offense Alec, it's a nice program, but I think I'll stick with Registery 1st Aid for speed and thoroughness.
Oh and I hope you had a wonderful night!;)

Originally posted by AlecStaar

None taken!

Yes, & I bet it only does 3-4 sections of the registry,TOPS, which is why it takes a whole 5 minutes...
Well, when you're correct you're correct. It in fact does only 3: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_USERS, and HKEY_CURRENT_USER Hadn't noticed that before
AND, I bet that it's possible you can burn sections of your registry that have CLSID's on them with it...
Right again! Maybe that's why Windows Update goes sooo slow and hasn't worked right since I did that scan. Must restore from backup and give it a go again,need those security backups. (I know can get them by going directly To the site, but that's not the point.)I guess better safe than sorry:D

First of all, yes I am using the latest version on winsite.com. I've downloaded like three times since yesterday to be sure, and I still don't get anything written to apk.reg on my XP partition.

Now, on for some good news: I've tested it thoroughly in ME, deleted keys, restored them from backup, etc, and everything is working fine, even the help and support. So, thumbs up on the ME side of things.

I'll wait for you to release version 7, and test that on XP. I'm only working 8-noon tomorrow and then I'm off for the week. So far, I'm swamped tomorrow afternoon and on Tuesday, but have nothing planned for the rest of the week except a hockey game on Thursday night. SO, since I've tried all my software on XP, and have decided to go XP only from now on, I think I'll take the oppurtunity of the time off to change over. Who knows, maybe that'll fix things....

Sure, I'm up for that. Send it to me, and I'll run it and send you the results.

Alec:
OK I'm convinced on the danger of removing CLSID. I did the restore, reran RegCleaner, deleted what it came up with, and tried Windows Update-no problems. So in the safety aspect of registery cleaners your's wins.
Now a question: In my event log I have 45 entries labelled Information. At the bottom they say what the program is doing (I can understand that part), but in the decription each one has this statement:
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( APK Windows²ººº Registry Cleaner 6.0++ ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:

So what does that mean? Would it have anything to do with disabling Remote Access? Just curious that's all.

G’day all,

I would like to thank Alex for sending me the latest XPReg Cleaner 7.0++. Works as I expected it would and is great for dumb bunnies like me that don’t want to fiddle around in the Registry. :D

One more thing, would like to wish you all a very..

Merry Christmas

Here you go Alec.......

You quoted earlier in this to post to a question I had about some files that deal with my sound, and you said:

"If my program says those are not on your disk, they were not there... that is how it works!"

Well hate to tell you......that statement is either not entirely true or your program is picking up stuff that you don't know about, OR I am just confused as to what I can delete.

I put the files in the folders that they should be in, and ran the program. Check out the screenshot to see what it found. I clicked backup and then checked the APKBackup.reg and it listed nothing. I thought it was suppose to write something when you wanted to back it up? I also don't like the fact that you have to rescan, after deleting an entry, just to delete another one.

Here's the screenshot with the search results. I searched my computer for the files your program listed. Everything with a red dot next to it, is on my computer. I'm not deleting those files, have no intentions on deleting them either. They are the same files listed in the past and I deleted them and then I was reformatting. So I am pretty sure they are the cause.

So here you go. I found my culprit. Oh using the latest version of the program. I know I posted a screenshot of the samething ealier in this post, but you had mentioned something about safety guard. Well, this version doesn't have that choice to turn it off or not. So why is it still listing those entries?

Alec,

As per our email discussion, you know I'm still having trouble using your regcleaner in XP. As I've posted previously, I've tested on my ME, and everything is cool. Retested with new version 7, and it's fine. Also, as discussed Friday, I tested it on NT 4 Workstation earlier today, and it seems to run fine there too. So, it seems only my XP partition is causing us problems...

I've used your Windirtest file you send, and sent you the result. It is picking up the right directory (E:\WinXP) for both APK.reg and APKbackup.reg.

As I've posted or emailed to you (I can't remember which) my plan right now is to go completely XP during my short vacation. Unless something major changes my plans, that's what I'm doing sometime between Boxing Day and New Year's. I'll test the app further once I'm done with that.

And by the way, I'd just like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, and if I'm not back before, a Happy New Year. 2002 already... darn, seems like just yesterday we were getting ready for Y2K!!! What a stressful time that was at work! :D

One more thing, ZipTrix, I LOVE your skin! What's it called, and where did you get it???

Originally posted by St0n3H3ng3
One more thing, ZipTrix, I LOVE your skin! What's it called, and where did you get it???
The XP skin I'm using? It's called AikonXP. Here it is.

Good One..

Works like a charm on both XP and ME. Job well done Alex. Btw, money is in the email.. :)

Happy New Year to all.

A problem cannot be solved using the same level of thinking that created it. In other words, if you screw it up, you can't fix it.)

First of all, ZipTrix, thanks for the skin.

Second, and most important, congratulations Alec! I don't know what you did, but you've got it working great now. I knew you'd get it eventually! Great piece of software, and, as far as I'm concerned, you're done... unless anyone else is having problems???

Again, congratulations, it's a great little app.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back