Windows reboots itself

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hiya guys,

I got a machine here, XPPro. It goes through POST and when it hits the WindowsXP scrollbar screen, it reboots itself.

I tried in safe mode and it does the same thing. I reset the bios to Load failsafe defaults, and it does the same thing.

I am thinking that it's a driver that is corrupted, just might.

I am thinking that a Repair from WindowsCD might be in order, am I assuming correctly?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

When you say you tried safe mode, how far do you get? Do you ever get past the XP Scrollbar screen?

Does it blink a BSOD, even for a milisecond before it reboots?

I have seen that a few times and yes a repair install has fixed it a few times also, I say go for the repair.

Hmm sounds like a scenario I had with a Job interview at staples.

Have you checked the PSU? Could be once windows start loading it puts a higher demand on the PSU which it may not be able to handle.

I loaded the safe Default settings in the BIOS, which cranked the FSB back to 100mghz from 166, and it still did this,

The owner of the machine was complaining about viruses before this happened.

Never saw the BSOD,

Heeter

I had a VERY similar problem with my PC.

I tried fixing it by doing a repair with NO luck, then I tried a re-intstall, and it did the typical: "Found a previous install of XP, try a repair instead?"

and I did a yes...

worked like a champ, I have no clue what the difference is, but it worked...

:)

I tried same thing, But since MBR is corrupted, Repair did not detect a Previous Version of Windows,

So a fresh install it will be,

Heeter

mlakrid said:

I tried fixing it by doing a repair with NO luck, then I tried a re-intstall, and it did the typical: "Found a previous install of XP, try a repair instead?"

and I did a yes...

Thats the repair option I was talking about its the 2nd one not the 1st, you might have been able to fix the mbr but its a little late now.

Hope it works out

mlakrid said:

and I did a yes...

The repair option replaces the system files and I think loads default drivers. I think.

Admiral Michael said:
The repair option replaces the system files and I think loads default drivers. I think.

Yes it does but whats nice is the way it does not remove added programs and you do not loose your stuff

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back