News Windows Phone 7 Series announced

As expected, Microsoft have unveiled Windows Phone 7 Series at the Mobile World Congress, which Microsoft have built from the ground up to create a different kind of Phone.

The phone software will integrate Zune, Xbox Live, Office and Bing in what seems to be a nicely integrated package as well as providing everything that Windows Mobile has before such as email syncronization (although custom software and backward compatibility has not yet been mentioned! There will be more information on these at MIX next month).

With this new platform, Microsoft offers a fresh approach to phone software, distinguished by smart design and truly integrated experiences that bring to the surface the content people care about from the Web and applications. For the first time ever, Microsoft will bring together Xbox LIVE games and the Zune music and video experience on a mobile phone, exclusively on Windows Phone 7 Series. Partners have already started building phones; customers will be able to purchase the first phones in stores by holiday 2010.

“Today, I’m proud to introduce Windows Phone 7 Series, the next generation of Windows Phones,” said Steve Ballmer, chief executive officer at Microsoft. “In a crowded market filled with phones that look the same and do the same things, I challenged the team to deliver a different kind of mobile experience. Windows Phone 7 Series marks a turning point toward phones that truly reflect the speed of people’s lives and their need to connect to other people and all kinds of seamless experiences.”

gamesscreen_web.jpg

musicvidscreen_web.jpg

With Windows Phone 7 Series, Microsoft takes a fundamentally different approach to phone software. Smart design begins with a new, holistic design system that informs every aspect of the phone, from its visually appealing layout and motion to its function and hardware integration. On the Start screen, dynamically updated “live tiles” show users real-time content directly, breaking the mold of static icons that serve as an intermediate step on the way to an application. Create a tile of a friend, and the user gains a readable, up-to-date view of a friend’s latest pictures and posts, just by glancing at Start.

Every Windows Phone 7 Series phone will come with a dedicated hardware button for Bing, providing one-click access to search from anywhere on the phone, while a special implementation of Bing search provides intent-specific results, delivering the most relevant Web or local results, depending on the type of query.
Windows Phone 7 Series creates an unrivaled set of integrated experiences on a phone through Windows Phone hubs. Hubs bring together related content from the Web, applications and services into a single view to simplify common tasks. Windows Phone 7 Series includes six hubs built on specific themes reflecting activities that matter most to people.

Every Windows 7 phone will be a Zune and will be able to sync with the Zune software. You can also now view the Windows Phone 7 Series homepage for a nice demonstration.

:view: Windows Phone 7 Series

Last edited:
Re: Windows Phone 7 Series Press conference

Arg, the Q&A was so short :(

I want to know about upgrades for existing devices and if OS updates will stillb e reliant on ROM upgrades from vendors, hopefully we will find out before the end of MWC.

Very little real meaty info that I've seen - mostly just showing off the bells/whistles of the new interface. As you mentioned EP, I don't really see any real detail on upgrades and requirements. My guess is seeing as how they want a "unified" experience with the hardware buttons, that older phones won't be upgradeable and a lot of the carrier specific branding will be ripped out as well.

I thought it was rather funny that there is no flash support either in v1 of the new windows phone.

Will be interesting to see how close they cut it to the holiday season this year.. but this is still a year or two too late in my opinion..

I am sure it will come later, tbh not entirely sure my current opera has it, saw mention of flash light but haven't bothered to check if it works anywhere or if I have it.

As far as Carrier stuff goes, I am sure there will be custom applications or blocks for the various carriers.

We will see more tomorrow with the HTC keynote and I guess more at mix, as well as whatever else leaks out.

thanx zombie!

they are absolutely loving the phone

Forget everything you know about Windows Mobile. Seriously, throw the whole OS concept in a garbage bin or incinerator or something. Microsoft has done what would have been unthinkable for the company just a few years ago: started from scratch. At least, that's how things look (and feel) with Windows Phone 7 Series. This really is a completely new OS -- and not just Microsoft's new OS, it's a new smartphone OS, like webOS new, like iPhone OS new. You haven't used an interface like this before

I have the Zune HD and i really like the UI for it, was actually thinking of getting the iPhone or some HTC android phone but now i am waiting for the Windows 7 Series Phone!

I am still not sure if it is a blessing that my HD2 will not officially get this version yet.

It seems very restrictive with a lower resolution being enforced as well as no applications being available outside the marketplace, no storage card support etc.

I rather like the fact that I can wipe my mobile and get it customised the way I want, I don't really want to be stuck in the position where I have to pay for any third party applications I might want to use (other than those that are retail of course) when I can find them free.

I just hope Microsoft keep their promise not to forget about 6, or I might have to follow these projects that want to put Android on the HD2 a little closer.

poor opera, they've worked so hard getting their mobile browswer to be the very best on 6, I wonder if there will be any issues for them porting over to 7

me thinks there must, it's an entirely new operating system

I am still not sure if it is a blessing that my HD2 will not officially get this version yet.

It seems very restrictive with a lower resolution being enforced as well as no applications being available outside the marketplace, no storage card support etc.

I rather like the fact that I can wipe my mobile and get it customised the way I want, I don't really want to be stuck in the position where I have to pay for any third party applications I might want to use (other than those that are retail of course) when I can find them free.

I just hope Microsoft keep their promise not to forget about 6, or I might have to follow these projects that want to put Android on the HD2 a little closer.

I think the good chefs will have a dual boot to storage card in no time

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back