Windows or Winxp?

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
I have windows xp pro at home and Windows xp academic at work (I think). My question is at home I have a windows directory and at work the directory is called winxp. Does anyone know why?

The winxp directory was probably set up intentionally at your workplace. By default (on a clean install) Windows is the install dir. However, you can assign it whatever dir you want during the setup process and on a different drive as well.

At home I can change the picture for my acccount in the start menu. At work I can't get that option under manager user accounts. Is there any other way (through the registry) to set a pictrue in the start menu?

You can only set a picture for your user account if the PC is a member of a workgroup, rather than a domain.
The PCs at work are most likely members of a domain, so there's no way to set a picture - work PCs are for work remember not for setting pretty pictures ! (says me typing this at work :p )

Originally posted by sinnoc00
You can only set a picture for your user account if the PC is a member of a workgroup, rather than a domain.
The PCs at work are most likely members of a domain, so there's no way to set a picture - work PCs are for work remember not for setting pretty pictures ! (says me typing this at work :p )

lol :p

Even if you're not part of a domain, if you have turned off the welcome screen, then you cant set the image then either

(says me also typing at work lol)

The user account picture is the same one you see in the start menu, so you can't do it if either the PC is a member of a domain, or as jonifen says, they've turned off the Welcome screen. Sorry !

Or there's a group/user policy control preventing all that nonsense. I deployed that here and my staff hates me for removing all their config abilities. :)

Windows XP Academic... uh, wouldn't your office have Windows XP Pro or Windows XP Corporate? I didn't think there were any other versions of Win XP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back