Windows OneCare/Windows Defender Discussion

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
As some of you may or may not be aware, Windows Defender Beta 2 is now available (this replaces Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1).

You can learn about Windows Defender and download it here. I found this link to be very interesting.

Post any questions or comments you might have using this thread. Thank you.

Re: Windows Defender Beta 2

I click "Check for Updates" and it seems to do some thing but doesn't download any updates, leaving the 19 days out of date on the main screen. Has anyone else had this problem?

I had that problem with Beta 1 - perhaps they havn't fixed it?

Thanks for the info I will have to check it out!

So does that mean a fresh download and install is in order?

Yeah I saw a few screenshots a little while ago, looks delicious :)

It's a lot nicer than the previous version (it makes more sense). It also runs as a Windows service which is very good.

UPDATE: I found my problem. I use an internal WSUS server and Windows Defender is designed to go out to your default update server. Since I have GPO set for internal then it connects there.

For those of us who administer a WSUS server you have to set it to download updates for Windows Defender AND Definition Updates.

Last edited:

I think I will try this one out ... Thanx for the info ..

Install validated OK - then stalled and failed for me.... I guess I am sticking with Anti-Spyware for now....

Mainframeguy, what was the reason? I did a lot of digging on my issue and came across some other solutions.

In order to install on Windows 2000 you need to have the GDI+ Redistrib installed.

installed ran and im running a normal windows. Odd wording but its bettet thaan your *hit is *ucked up.

I was most pleased about native 64-bit support. Now where's that Windows Desktop Search? :)

yep...:laugh: deskbar no where to be found...

Many options were removed which i dont like... now only one day allowed for weekly auto scan. i guess choose the "everyday option."

I miss the old "target" icon ala' "Giant" the castle looks cheesy..........
hopefully the engine was not messed with too much..still good none the less

madmatt said:
It's a lot nicer than the previous version (it makes more sense). It also runs as a Windows service which is very good.

UPDATE: I found my problem. I use an internal WSUS server and Windows Defender is designed to go out to your default update server. Since I have GPO set for internal then it connects there.

For those of us who administer a WSUS server you have to set it to download updates for Windows Defender AND Definition Updates.
I remember seeing that, and it has been rumored for awhile.

I can't wait to get home, silly Valentine's Day might not let me use the computer too much tonight. However, I do have Wednesday and Thursday off, woohoo :)

It is defiantly slimmed down. For anyone who is having problems WinDefend is the source object in the Event Viewer. Look for any events there.

I can't get a scan to work under Windows 2000. I will post more information later today.

What is the descripton in the Windows Service section of it?

I'll post the error later, I don't have my notes in front of me.

Over all I am impressed with the new beta. I haven't tested it against any loaded malware, but I've read in the newsgroups that it works real well.

Here's my question to everyone (except Johnny because I know what he will say). I am currently fed up with Norton Internet Security. I've been saying this for at least two years. It is such a resource hog and 2006 has a few annoying bugs (and the new Norton Protection Center is really annoying).

It's time for a change. I know the Windows Firewall isn't as good as it should be so that worries me. The new Windows Defender would cover the malware front. But what about antivirus?

I was thinking about signing up for the Windows OneCare Live beta and giving that a go. I know it combines firewall, antivirus, and malware (as well as some other utilities) into one.

Is the firewall in Windows OneCare the Windows Firewall? And is the malware protection Windows Defender? And lastly, how is the antivirus protection? Does it scan incoming/outgoing files/emails?

If anyone has any experience with this new product please fill me in.

I already tried Trend Micro's Internet suite and I wasn't happy with it.

madmatt said:
It's time for a change. I know the Windows Firewall isn't as good as it should be so that worries me. The new Windows Defender would cover the malware front. But what about antivirus?

I was thinking about signing up for the Windows OneCare Live beta and giving that a go. I know it combines firewall, antivirus, and malware (as well as some other utilities) into one.

Is the firewall in Windows OneCare the Windows Firewall? And is the malware protection Windows Defender? And lastly, how is the antivirus protection? Does it scan incoming/outgoing files/emails?

If anyone has any experience with this new product please fill me in.

I already tried Trend Micro's Internet suite and I wasn't happy with it.
The OneCare firewall is a step-up from the Windows Firewall in XP SP2. It includes outbound monitoring, which is one of the deficiencies of Windows Firewall.

OneCare does not include an antispyware component, so you would want to run Defender along with it. I'm guessing they figured including antispyware capabilities in OneCare would be redundant since Defender is going to be a free download anyway.

I can't say anything about the quality of the antivirus component since I haven't ever installed OneCare on any of my machines (it doesn't run on XP x64, and my laptop was running the latest Vista CTP). But it should include the ability to scan at least incoming mails. I personally use ESET's NOD32 antivirus. Kaspersky is another good one. They both receive definition updates daily, and have solid heuristic capabilities.

If you decide to try OneCare, let us know what you think. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back