windows messing up the appearance controls

R

Rexy

i was just testing some vs i d/led but decided to go back to my last theme which i saved so i would be able to easily get to it... but i was kinda messing with its settings and tried some stuff. anyway, now when i go to the display properties and go to the appearance tab and go to advanced and want to change the icon's font it limits my font choices and eventhough that the font arrow slider can only shows the limited fonts it allows me to use, u can edit the box manually but when i tried (several times) to change it to the font i want it just ignores me and uses tahoma :(
how can this be fixed? i tried rebooting or going back to the original theme that came with windows xp (the one that uses the luna style), but neither works... what should i do to fix this?

You could try doing a system restore to a time when the problem wasn't there.

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
You could try doing a system restore to a time when the problem wasn't there.

:rolleyes: i disbled system restore :( :eek:
i never thought i would use it

OK you could try doing a repair of xp which is basically reinstalling windows. Insert the xp cd & boot up. Follow the screens to the repair section.
If you have a friend close by you could get on their machine & write down their information that you changed on yours then go & set yours to their specifications. Might work & save the hassle of a repair.

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
[...] information that you changed on yours [...]

well, that's the thing... i didn't change anything (manually that is:rolleyes: )

Can't say that I really have an idea what could cause this. Is it just the font for icons or every font choice in there that is messed up? Which fonts can you choose? Are they more basic ones, like Tahoma, or do you get more exotic choices? If you switch to classic theme, the problem persists? You can access all installed fonts in other programs, notepad, wordpad or so?

Originally posted by yoyo
Can't say that I really have an idea what could cause this. Is it just the font for icons or every font choice in there that is messed up? Which fonts can you choose? Are they more basic ones, like Tahoma, or do you get more exotic choices? If you switch to classic theme, the problem persists? You can access all installed fonts in other programs, notepad, wordpad or so?

everywhere u can select a font in the advanced appearance controls in xp, there's the messed up limit.
it's only basic ones that came with windows (i don't even think there r any fonts there officexp installs). it's kinda like from arial, courier, fixedsys, ms sans serif and tahoma (there r more, like 10 in total)
i already tried changing to luna or even the original theme xp comes with but it doesn't help.
all fonts are available thru both word, notepad and ps7.

i did some investigation and i went to c what kind of fonts r the ones listed. at start i went from one to one in my fonts folder and saw that all were .fon and true type (.ttf) but with an O icon (i dunno the diff b/w ttf with TT or O on its default windows icon). but later when i got to lucida grande (i wasn't going by alphabetical order) i saw it was a normal ttf... i dunno if there's a connection because some stuff that were also ttf's with O's weren't in the appearance controls.... maybe it's like only unicode supporting fonts:huh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back