Windows Messenger (Windows XP)

B

bruce_ers00

My friend asked me an interesting question today: in Windows Messenger there is drop down menu of more than one email address. Normally this would be fine. However, being that this is Win XP it shows how many unread messages exist in an inbox. A friend of his logged in with his hotmail account on his MSN messenger and now my friend is receiving notification that he has XX amount of unread messages (XX representing the number of unread emails). However, the unread messages notice applies to his friends Hotmail account, not his actual account. What I am trying to figure out is how to remove email addresses from the drop down list in the Windows Messenger Login.

BTW, I have already checked windows registry (unless I am missing something) they are not there.

Is there a tweak or something (software??) that can rid the list of unwanted email addresses?

run control userpasswords2
advanced tab
manage passwords

done.

Thanks for the fast reply Matt... I am not sure of what your referring to. From the start menu I've chosen "Run". I typed "control" and I get my control panel. Not sure what or where "userpasswords2" is. Can you clearify? Thanks!

run "CONTROL userpasswords2"

one command, run the whole thing =)

LOL! I thought I tried that... Understood. :) Thanks again Matt.

anytime =)

time for bed, night.

Hi There,

Tweakui Powertoy from Microsoft lets you stop the number of unread emails from showing on the log in screen but this will block the logging of both your friends account and the one that is causing him grief.

As an alternative there is a way of blocking individual email accounts from showing their email log through the registry. I can't remember how to do this and don't know if anyone else would like to offer some help on this one.

Catch you all later,
Blue

Posted by bluekelt
Hi There,

Tweakui Powertoy from Microsoft lets you stop the number of unread emails from showing on the log in screen but this will block the logging of both your friends account and the one that is causing him grief.

As an alternative there is a way of blocking individual email accounts from showing their email log through the registry. I can't remember how to do this and don't know if anyone else would like to offer some help on this one.

Catch you all later,
Blue

You misunderstood what Bruce_ers00 meant, he didn't mention the log in screen feature, but Messenger's little pop-up window showing new messages when they hit the inbox and contacts when they connect...

Madmatt gave the right answer to the problem.

I will just add something to it: if Messenger connects to your friend's account instead of yours, it's because "remember p/w..." has been selected for his account, voiding Messenger's remembering your own... when Messenger's connected, close session and select open session, select your account and check the remember option.
This for future problems, Madmatt gave you the right option.

Thanks Ant -|- One,

Just went back and re-read the question with a clear head. May be a good idea if I don't offer advice when I've had little sleep and it's a busy Sunday afternoon.

Catch you later,
Blue

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back