Windows Messenger & Hotmail

L

LodussLSU

I know that everytime I go to Hotmail (even though my Windows Messenger is not loaded) my Messenger will pop up in the sys tray. No biggy... doesn't bother me THAT much. However, whenever I check my inbox in Hotmail, another instance of Messenger pops up in the sys try so I got 2 instance of it there. Now this IS annoying. Anyone heard of this problem and know of a fix (hell anyone know how to stop it from loading up whenever I check hotmail short of uninstalling it.. I still use Messenger).

Thanks

Tip: When you sign in to Messenger, it remembers every email address/.net passport that you signed in under. To remove
an item from the list of remembered names: Start/Run/control userpasswords2. Advanced/Manager Passwords.

Tip: Easiest method to disable Messenger: C:\Program Files\Messenger and either rename the Messenger folder to
something like "MessengerOLD" or just move it.

Disable MSN Instant Messenger

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Messenger\Client

Value Name: PreventAutoRun, PreventRun
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (1 = enable restriction, 0 = default)

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called 'PreventAutoRun, PreventRun' and edit the value according to the settings above. Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

Remove Messenger from XP

Start/Run/RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Disable Messenger

Start/Run/gpedit.msc/Admistrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Messenger. Alter your settings in the right pane. (For Pro)

Stop Windows Messenger from Auto-Starting

Simply delete the following Registry Key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\MSMSGS

Uninstall Messenger

You have to edit sysoc.inf (located in /WINDOWS/inf). Under [Components] you should see the following line:
msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7. Take the word 'hide' out of the line, and it should look like this:
msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7. Exit and save.

Go to Add or Remove Programs, and click on Add/Remove Windows Components. There you should now be able to uncheck the MSN Messenger Service, and by clicking Next it will uninstall.

Remove MSN Messenger from Outlook Express and Prevent the Delay

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express. Value Name: Hide Messenger, Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value), Value Data: (2 = remove messenger). Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called 'Hide Messenger' and set the value to 2.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Messenger\Client. Add the following values as New, DWord Values: PreventRun and PreventAutoRun. Set the value of each of these to1.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

Slow Loading of Outlook Express When Messenger is Disabled

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}\InProcServer32

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}\LocalServer32

For both, in the right pane, right click Default/Modify/Delete the value data.

Hotmail is slow after disabling/removing Messenger

The side effects are not known as of yet: Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Messenger.MsgrObject
Right click on the Messenger.MsgrObject key and select rename. Rename it to Messenger.MsgrObjectold

This will prevent Messenger from loading when you access your account via the Hotmail web page, it will also prevent the delay when Messenger has been removed or disabled.

Preventing Microsoft Messenger from Automatically Signing in

Start/Run/control userpasswords2/Advanced tab. Manage Passwords/Delete (Passport) Entries. Open MSN Messenger (click here to sign in) enter passport e-mail address and password and leave the Sign Me In Automatically unchecked.

Tip: Change the MSN Messenger Background Image

This tweak allows you to change the background bitmap image in the MSN Messenger service. Locate the installation directory for MSN Messenger on your system (e.g. "C:\Program Files\Messenger"). This location can also be found in the registry in the "InstallationDirectory" value at [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MessengerService].

Rename the "lvback.gif" file in the installation directory to "lvback.old". Then copy and rename the new background GIF file to the same directory as "lvback.gif". Restart MSN Messenger for the change to take effect.

Tip: Getting rid of ads in MSN messenger

Find its default folder (search for Messenger). Open LINKS.TXT and clear its contents. When finished, save the file and pull up its properties from the Windows Explorer. Place a checkmark in the "Read-only" field.

Remove/Add Items from remembered list in Messenger login

When you sign in to Messenger, it remembers every email address / .net passport that you signed in under. To remove an item from the list of remembered names:

1. In Start menu select Run
2. enter: "control userpasswords2"
3. Go to Advanced tab
4. Select Manage Passwords Button
5. Add or Remove items at will

Wow, very indepth. Thank you.

I will save this for sure :)

Thanks again

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back