Windows Messenger and Default Browser

blinden

OSNN Senior Addict
I am on my work computer and I need to have Windows messenger installed for our in office communcations. I also need to be able to open links from messenger in IE for certain oracle applications we use.

This being said, I'm a firefox user, and I don't want to set IE to default browser, but i'm going to have to unless i can find a way to keep FF default but make Messenger open IE instead. Is there a registry entry for this anywhere that anyone knows of?

Let me know if you are unclear as to what I mean, it could be a little confusing.

Also, Windows XP, Messenger V. 5.0

yeah, can u use msn messenger? cuz if u can u can get stuff plug ng and tell it not to open in the default browser

Unfortunately I'm stuck with just basic Windows Messenger 5.0 for now...

Wierd, I've got FireFox set as my default browser and Messenger opens IE.

MSN Messenger is the only app that I use that pays no attention to the default browser setting and opens up IE regardless.
It's rather annoying...

! windows update!

anyways, I can't really switch to MSN Messenger for the task at hand, i've looked around but I can't find anything in the registry about URL handlers for it.

blinden said:
! windows update!
Well, Windows Update does need IE to function at all, so I don't really mind that.
But when someone sends me a link via IM, I'd rather not have to copy the URL, switch to Firefox and paste it in manually.

Latest version of IE/XP/MSN Messenger 7.
Even better... I mainly use Miranda now and IT loads Avant when I click on links in the browser.

ohh, yeah, I'm running windows messenger, not MSN messenger, and I don't really have an option to do that here at work. We are running messenger on our exchange, and I don't think the MSN client has that option.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back